C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Question - What does a shift kit do.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 11:12 AM
jeffs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Question - What does a shift kit do.

Ok, I just got my 700R4's TV cable adjusted (after carb change) perfect as recommended by Bow Tie. It shifts nicely between 5000 and 5500 at WOT, however, it still revs a little between shifts. If I put a shift kit in it to get that crisp shift, what does that do the main line pressures compared to stock, anything? How do shift kits work generally?

Jeffs
Old 12-10-2001, 11:34 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: Transmission Question - What does a shift kit do. (jeffs)

There's a plate installed that allows the hydraulics to shift the clutches in the trans crisper and with more positive action. It is way better for an auto trans to shift this way rather than to 'slush' into the next gear. You might think this would be hard on a trans but it will last much longer. You will feel the difference. It's a good thing..... :yesnod:

[Modified by MasterDave, 7:35 AM 12/10/2001]
Old 12-11-2001, 10:29 AM
woodworkr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Transmission Question - What does a shift kit do. (MasterDave)

MasterDave is right on the money there. The more positave the tranny shifts, the less wear there is on the bands. The slushy shifting will wear the bands eventually, somewhat like riding the clutch in a shifted car. The shift kit will allow the tranny to "pop" into gear. You may want to think about an adjustable vacuum modulator as well. That will allow you to "dial" in your shift points with the car in drive. If you shift it manually with the shift kit you should chirp the tires in at least second or maybe even third. Mine does anyway. :)
JoeB

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Question - What does a shift kit do.

Quick Reply: Transmission Question - What does a shift kit do.