C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pertronix Pointless Conversion: Cooked Coil

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 10:50 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Pertronix Pointless Conversion: Cooked Coil

I have read about people having problems with this unit. I purchased it abouta year ago and thought I would install it for the heck of it. I hooked it up to my Flame Thrower coil as detailed. I don't seem to have an in-line resistor on myacoil. My engine is a "72" L48. So... I hooked it up to the coil terminals. It started right up and seemed to run smooth. My dwell was at about 36 deg and the timing was off about 4 degrees. I took it out for a short run and it seemed to run ok. The next dsy I started it and it skipped. Mostly at 2000+ rpm. I checked my timing and brought it back to about 16 degrees. This yields about 36 degrees at 2200 rpm. When I check full advance it was 36 deg at about 1800 rpm. I was surprised at the change. Right around then I smelled somthing burning but could not find the source. I thought I would stick the points back in to recheck my timing with the points. After I did the engine would not start. The coil was not providing any spark. I did a resistance check on the coild and there was none. Plus the coil was very hot. The Pertronix unit was hot as well when removed. I am assuming the coil is dead. I am not sure how this happened. I was very carful to turn ignition completely off while making adjustments. Has anyone had any experience with this? Can anyone recommend a better unit. :U
Old 12-10-2001, 10:55 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Pertronix Pointless Conversion: Cooked Coil (KJL)

I warned ya about the Ignitor..Mine fried after only 2500 miles..I guess I did a bit better than u did....I am sticking with POINTS as Lar's suggested..By the way i am still running the Flame thrower coil....Works great!! :cheers:

[Modified by Alwyn678, 10:09 AM 12/10/2001]
Old 12-10-2001, 11:16 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Pertronix Pointless Conversion: Cooked Coil (Alwyn678)

Alwyn678,
So I take it you did not burn up your coil? Also, does one need a high performance coil when running points?

P.S. Lars told me the same thing...I feel like a bad boy... :blueangel:
Old 12-10-2001, 11:20 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Alwyn678,
So I take it you did not burn up your coil? Also, does one need a high performance coil when running points?

P.S. Lars told me the same thing...I feel like a bad boy... :blueangel:

I do not think that you need a high-perf coil but it would not hurt anything..and no my coil did not fry..I am still using it
Old 12-11-2001, 10:15 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has been in for about a year and 4000 miles without problems, although I too am considering going back to points because of problems that others have reported. I ran the stock coil up until this year with no problem, then changed to the Flamethrower coil. I wouldn't say a big difference but I never ever have any misfiring even when at WOT. I know the Flamethrower coil will work well with points as Alwyn has pointed out.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:37 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Pertronix Pointless Conversion: Cooked Coil (68shark)

As it turns out my coil is ok, it appears that maybe I had a bad connection when I put the points back in. I did put the Pertronix unit back in to try for a while. However I will have all the stuff to "field install" the points if things go bad. I also found a vacuum line that had come disconnected, that probably caused the missing and idle problems. The car started right up, once warm it sounded ok. I timed to 36 deg at full mech advance. We'll see how it goes.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:48 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Good luck with it......I will not use the Pertonix stuff again..However a new tach drive MSD Distributor may be in my future of XMAS present to myself...but Man are they OVERPRICED
Old 12-11-2001, 11:07 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Thanks!! My gift to me for the holidays is a set of Dynomax coated headers!!
Old 12-11-2001, 12:13 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Thanks!! My gift to me for the holidays is a set of Dynomax coated headers!!
SCHWEEEEET :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Pertronix Pointless Conversion: Cooked Coil

Quick Reply: Pertronix Pointless Conversion: Cooked Coil