C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Support Rotted

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 09:14 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Radiator Support Rotted

My lower radiator support; the part the radiator actually rests on has rusted to the point where it bends (down) easily, allowing the radiator to 'walk' left or right off of the rubber pads. Discovered the severity of the problem when my trans line that is at the lower right of the radiator gave out from rubbing (result of the radiator moving 1-2" to the right). Understandably concerned given the amount of 'stuff' needed to remove to get at the support.

My question: I have noted a number of the catalogs that sell the support (I assume the complete support) for approx $300. I need the lower horizontal section; the rest is fine. I was at the Meckum car auction and Corvette show in Kissimmee/Orlando in Feb 2001 and noted a booth that sold fabricated metal parts. One that caught my eye was the lower radiator support; $99. Anybody have the name and phone number of that outfit? I have a catalog for something like CSC Corvette (or SCS Corvette); can't recall their name. I may call them as they appear to fabricate alot of different metal parts for the vette.

Suggestions welcome.
Old 12-10-2001, 09:29 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Radiator Support Rotted (TedH)

I think they are the only one's who make the supports, and they didn't make just a lower section some years ago when I bought mine...I am not happy with the fit ment of my unit....side bolts don't line up....and the gauge of metal was very significantly lighter than the original....
I drilled drain holes in the lower bottom of that unit to allow water to drain freely,.....next time here, soon I think, I"m getting a welder I know to make one up, out of genuine steel.....and POR 15 the damn thing....

GENE
Old 12-10-2001, 09:43 AM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ted H the company your looking for is CSC Call 440 331-8939 Let me know how you made out I picked up their catalog 2 years ago and they make all the unusual stuff but at the time they didn't have the rad support. I need one for the 76>
Old 12-10-2001, 03:04 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a support in good condition from a wrecker. Cost me $125. I'll probably have it powder coated. I drilled a couple of drainage holes in the bottom so it doesn't happen again.

I think Doc Rebuild sells just parts if you want to go that route.

Chris
Old 12-10-2001, 03:07 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Radiator Support Rotted (71roadster)

You would be hard pressed to find a used one that is not rusted. At least I looked everywhere for a good condition used one. They all seemed to have the same rust problem as mine. Good luck
Old 12-10-2001, 05:40 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: Radiator Support Rotted (ScubaJKD)

YES, they are very very hard to find original without rustout....
the reproductions are lighter than the original with the rust all shaken out...I think Taiwan struck again....;-)))

still think getting a welder friend to make one up correctly is the best bet...but a LOT OF WORK...no question about it....but then again 3-400 bux is not cheap either......
due to the construction it would take major LUCK to find one in really great condition, then I would drill drain holes in it for longevity....

GENE
Old 12-10-2001, 07:48 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Radiator Support Rotted (mrvette)

If you ar talking about the radiator support cross member I got one from ZIP (if I remember right, I'll check my records) about 2 years ago new. It was just as "heavy" as the original and it fit like a dream. This is the cross member that the actual radiator support sits on.
I'll be back
John
Old 12-10-2001, 08:28 PM
1980 razz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out the place i got for $60 with shipping to hAWAII..its on the forum right now just above your topic
Old 12-10-2001, 08:44 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: Radiator Support Rotted (theandies)

OH, if you all are talking of the #1 thwart, or frame cross member, that is another issue.....mine was rusted also....the replacement at Carlysle was about 60 bucks or so some years ago....and once again....I coated the interior with Naval Jelly, and let it drip out from drain holes I strategically placed in the underside....about 4 ..1/2 inch holes....no more rust....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Support Rotted

Quick Reply: Radiator Support Rotted