C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super High Idle!! Yikes!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 12:08 AM
Gameshow Bob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super High Idle!! Yikes!

Well, It seems that there's always something. About a week ago after a good acceleration (WOT) up to 70 or so the idle stuck at ~2700rpm! Scary, cause I was stuck in traffic for about 5 minutes before I could pull off to see what was wrong. I removed the air cleaner to look around at the carb a bit to see if it was anything obvious, but I didn't see anything. After starting it back up, the problem was gone. I figured the throttle got stuck on the air cleaner or something ??!? well, Tonight it happened again! Except this time it was closer to 4800rpm!! Even scarier, I pulled off into the gas station, stopped it, started it back up, problem was gone. For good measure, and to check for consistancy, when I was pulling out of the gas station I floored it and it did the same thing! shut the car off, started back up, gone again! Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? It has just recently gotten cold, that's the only thing I can think of. Secondaries sticking open maybe?? It's a Holley 670 something or another, not the stock Q-Jet. I can get more info about it if it's relavent.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:12 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Super High Idle!! Yikes! (Gameshow Bob)

im not a carb expert so ill let those guys (LARS) comment on that..

but i had a problem with my throttle cable sticking!! it had burs in the wire and it would stick...

similiar to your problem..

replaced it and problem fixed.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:16 AM
Gameshow Bob
Racer

Default Re: Super High Idle!! Yikes! (daily_driver)

im not a carb expert so ill let those guys (LARS) comment on that..

but i had a problem with my throttle cable sticking!! it had burs in the wire and it would stick...

similiar to your problem..

replaced it and problem fixed.
that does sound like a possibility... I was more surprised about the whole thing happening that I didn't think to check the pedal position or anything like that. . . But somehow it fixes itself with a restart, I feel like i have a MS Windows carb or something.
Old 12-10-2001, 01:32 AM
Gameshow Bob
Racer

A friend I just talked to said it might be the choke sticking. . . ???
Old 12-10-2001, 01:47 AM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's one of two things:

Your accelerator cable is sticking, or the secondaries are sticking open. The secondaries could be gummed up or you may have a problem with the vacuum diaphram on the secondaries.
clean it up with some carb cleaner - but don't get it on the paint :nono:

:cheers:
Old 12-11-2001, 10:18 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Super High Idle!! Yikes! (71coupe)

I had a similar problem with my stock QJ once. Had the air cleaner off to show a friend, put it back on carelessly and incorrectly. Accelerator pump was depressed and idled at about 1500. I felt really stupid when I took the air cleaner off and the idle immediately dropped to normal.

I would check and double check all the linkages and make sure there is nothing obstructing the free movement of the linkages. Seeing it isn't your stock carb, maybe the linkage is setup right??
Old 12-11-2001, 06:06 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

But somehow it fixes itself with a restart, I feel like i have a MS Windows carb or something.
:lol: Do we have a fellow Linux fan here? :)
Old 12-11-2001, 06:11 PM
Gameshow Bob
Racer

Default Re: Super High Idle!! Yikes! (Cookwithvette)

Linux? Me? hahaha, I only run it exclusively at work. :D I need windows for my scanner at home :crazy: Am I that obvious?
Old 12-11-2001, 06:18 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an electric choke on mine and at some point is started idling at 2000rpm....removed the choke and it solved the problem.
Old 12-11-2001, 06:42 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woah!!! that is scary!! If its your linkage binding up then check the linkage real good and double up or get a stronger throttle return spring. If you can raise the throttle cable mounting bracket any, it might help. Get a better posistion for the pull and release. Check very carefully for smooth operation especially where the cable end connects to the carb linkage.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:13 PM
nunus79
Drifting

Default Re: Super High Idle!! Yikes!

I had that happen in an El Camino. The secondary throttle linkage was being held open by the lock-out rod on the passenger side throttle shaft. The rod was binding on the manifold. I can't remember if the rod just slipped down or if the rod was intentionally bent to allow the secondaries to open even while the choke was still on. It was scary. Worth taking a quick look at it.

[Modified by nunus79, 1:18 PM 12/11/2001]
Old 12-11-2001, 11:44 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 215 Posts

My Vette has done the same to me for the last few weeks. Everything on the carb checked out OK. The accelerator cable appeared to hang-up. I put some teflon based oil in the cable and it slides smooooth now. I have purchased a new calbe and throttle return springs. My son with my supervision will install the new cable over his Christmas break from school.
Roger
Old 12-12-2001, 06:08 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default I'm still off-topic.

Know what you mean about compatibility. I run it on my laptop for general use but have to use the Win2K desktop for scanning, printing, and oh, yeah....games. I do have to admit, 2000 is by far the best Windows I've ever used. Not perfect, but what is?

./matt
Oh yeah,
Hope the car troubles work out all right. ;)
Old 12-12-2001, 09:46 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I'm still off-topic. (Cookwithvette)

XP is GREAT!!!

once u get all the right drivers that is

Old 12-12-2001, 11:27 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I figured the throttle got stuck on the air cleaner or something ??!?
I dont know about your problem, but you successfully diagnosed mine!! :)
Had very similar symptoms a while back, and it was the linkage getting stuck on the air cleaner. There is very little clearance under and around there. I just had to slightly bend a bracket so it would clear. I also doubled up the throttle springs (as suggested above) which prevented the sticking until I figured out what was going on. MJ
Old 12-13-2001, 12:04 AM
Gameshow Bob
Racer

Default Re: Super High Idle!! Yikes! (MNJack)

I have a feeling I may know what's going on by combining some of the above information. My carb seems to be off a little in the tuning area (LARS, you good with holleys? :D ) and I bet the choke is kicking on while the secondaries are open and making it stick open instead of stick shut like it should. Turn the car off, electric choke disengages, secondaries close, car runs fine afterwards. Its just now showing up because of this cold weather. This explination sounds reasonable to me anyways. Now, what to do about it. . .

Get notified of new replies

To Super High Idle!! Yikes!

Quick Reply: Super High Idle!! Yikes!