C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Thinking of parting out, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 03:00 PM
thraka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of parting out, advice needed

Anyone ever part out their C4? Here's my situation. I have a 93 I crashed a while back, and spent great effort and time to revive. Folks here have been very helpful in the effort!

I drive it every day. I was just about to get it repainted, when I managed to screw up AGAIN and bump the driver's side corner into a tree (don't ask, no, it wasn't fast, but it still screwed it up bad), and the driver's side headlight area is now wrecked.

I am totally discouraged by this, and I am thinking of letting this car go and trying to find another one, just eat my losses. I don't know if I want to try to sell it to someone for cheap (it runs fine) or part it out, though. Anyone have any opinions on it, any data I might want to consider?
Old 03-21-2008, 03:09 PM
efweber
Racer

Old 03-21-2008, 05:43 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Parting out a car can be a real pain, especially if you're pressed for space. Once you sell one of the major driveline components (engine, trans, diff) or the steering column or seats you're stuck with hoping to sell the rest or having to make arrangements to get the thing towed away.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:18 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say if you have the space to store it for an indefinite period of time, go for it. While it makes me sad that a C4 will be dying, you will definitely make more money parting it out, if you have the patience to get all the major parts sold. My $0.02.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:26 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Parting out takes alot of time. You'll sell just enough parts to make sure it can't be put back together, and then everyone will low ball you. If you part them out regularly and have the space you might do okay.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Livin the Dream
Pro

If you were to part it out , I would first watch items your are planing to sell on the auction sites and see what they sell for. However like the other poster said if you could put it away for awhile you could possibly get more money.
Condition is the first thing I would consider. Interior pieces bring good money if they are complete and not cracked. If everything shows a lot of wear well you probably will not make a lot. In my experience the items you think will bring nothing will sell big.
Exterior parts can be OK but there are shipping problems
original glass usually does good as well
If you do this remember it takes time. Time to research selling price. time to list , time to answer questions , time to pack items for sale and time to ship. I usually pack the items and weigh and measure before I sell. Lots of questions on shipping costs.
Oh and then you get to play banker and that takes time too! Oh and save all communication for at least 60 days if you use paypal in case of a charge back.
When I sell I do make money- which goes back into the hobby. A lot of time is invested , but I like to do this and watch the auctions it's fun for me.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:37 AM
proclaimer36
Instructor

well if you are going to part it out, what color is the interior? Don't mean to jump the gun.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:48 AM
rmbtowing
Instructor

what are you looking to get for the whole car?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:43 AM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thraka
Anyone ever part out their C4? Here's my situation. I have a 93 I crashed a while back, and spent great effort and time to revive. Folks here have been very helpful in the effort!

I drive it every day. I was just about to get it repainted, when I managed to screw up AGAIN and bump the driver's side corner into a tree (don't ask, no, it wasn't fast, but it still screwed it up bad), and the driver's side headlight area is now wrecked.

I am totally discouraged by this, and I am thinking of letting this car go and trying to find another one, just eat my losses. I don't know if I want to try to sell it to someone for cheap (it runs fine) or part it out, though. Anyone have any opinions on it, any data I might want to consider?
Buy a tank!
Old 03-24-2008, 03:39 PM
thraka
Instructor

Thanks for the advice, folks. I have found what I consider to be an excellent alternative: I'm going to recruit. I'm going to sell the thing to my nephew, and his father, who is good with fiberglass, is going to help him repair/replace the hood. I'm getting a little less money than I might have out of the deal, but I am very pleased to find a way not to let the car die.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:38 PM
arizonaames269
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thraka

In CA those trees just pop up in the road for no reason at all!!! Just move the headlight to the center of the car and call it a train!

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of parting out, advice needed

Quick Reply: Thinking of parting out, advice needed