C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 05:09 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!!

previous post miss all gone...went for a ride miss is all gone all of sudden in about 15 minutes into ride it starts to miss again and barely ideling..i get it back home and missing like crazy...pull air cleaner off and the throttle blades have a weird look like whitish..oh crap water..i just got gas saturday morning before all the rain started..and guess what he didnt put the cap back on lookinside tank and yep filled with water.I CANT WIN :mad :mad time to drain the tank the lines and the carb.gas station attendant is going to get an ear full :mad
and the little drain hole was clogged solid.

[Modified by pats406nitrovette, 4:10 PM 12/9/2001]

[Modified by pats406nitrovette, 4:11 PM 12/9/2001]
Old 12-09-2001, 05:13 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!! (pats406nitrovette)

Bummer :( That's why I pump my own gas. I hope everything goes well while draining the tank. Once you get all of the water out of the system I would suggest running some dry gas through the system.
Old 12-09-2001, 05:40 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel for you man. That would really @#$% me off too. :reddevil
Old 12-09-2001, 05:41 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!! (bence13_33)

That is bad luck! In New Jersey there is no self service at the gas station!! However, I always fill the vette at the same Amoco station, and I supervise very closely!! Sometimes they just hand the pump to me rather than mess with that HUGE opening! But I am so absentminded myself I could probably manage to leave without the gas cap. But I would never leave it out in the rain! You do have to be careful when you wash these cars not to let water collect around the fill area. MJ
Old 12-09-2001, 05:43 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!! (MNJack)

sorry to hear about your bad luck...

thats why i never let anyone pump gas except me..

as a matter of fact... i never let anyone do ANYTHING on the car except me..

not even change the oil

people are idiots.

:yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 12-09-2001, 05:45 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

All gas stations in new jersey are full service?

That's really strange.

I don't like other people pumping my gas... :nonod:
Old 12-09-2001, 05:57 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol will rid the system of the final remnants of the water. It is inexpensive at drug stores or dollar stores. In Canada it is called gas-line antifreeze for cars with fuel injection systems and bought in that context at an auto parts place is very expensive. Wood (methanol) alcohol works also but chews into rubber parts and is not recommended for cars with fuel injection. But I have used it for some time with carbs.
Old 12-09-2001, 06:03 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!! (daily_driver)

sorry to hear about your bad luck...

thats why i never let anyone pump gas except me..

as a matter of fact... i never let anyone do ANYTHING on the car except me..

not even change the oil

people are idiots.

:yesnod: :yesnod:
I agree. Especially the idiot part. I didn't even know there were full service gas stations anymore. The only time I remember them is when I was a little kid and that was a long time ago.
John
Old 12-09-2001, 06:03 PM
Clink69
Drifting

If you have a receipt , make em pay for any damage... A gas station near me had water in the gas and ruined my friends brand new volve (at least he cares :D ) They had to pay thousands to tear it down .... :flag
Old 12-09-2001, 06:05 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tough break Pat.
Usually when I get gas,even at a station other than where I always go the attendant,legal or not,hands me the pump handle.
If he doesn't I take it and have never had one refuse to let me.
I always worry about gas on the paint.
Never even thought of the cap issue and water.
Old 12-09-2001, 07:08 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!! (69er)

Wow, full serve! They haven't had much of that here in 20 years. There are a few stations that have both, usually the ones that are still offering repair services, but 90 percent of the stations here are "mini-marts" and offer no services. Water was a problem in the early '80's, but it's non existent now. I've always pumped my own becase of splillage.

Hans
Old 12-09-2001, 08:34 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Default Re: i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!! (Chris Fowler '80)

All gas stations in new jersey are full service?

That's really strange.

I don't like other people pumping my gas... :nonod:
They're like that in Oregon too. You can get a big fine for pumping your own gas. I wouldn't let them pump gas into my motorcycles, but then the state police cracked down and attendants and customers started getting fined. They will send you on your way now if you try to pump your own gas.
Old 12-09-2001, 09:13 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!! (The_Dude)

What the...??? You can't pump your own gas because of state LAW??? What kind of backwards thinking is that?

Would someone that knows, please care to explain to me the logic of it? It's about the most stupid thing I've ever heard of...that's like a law that "you can't change your own oil," or something.

No one else will EVER put gas into my baby but me...even if I have to buy it by the 5-gal plastic container...they can fill that, I'll walk over to my car and put it in the tank, repeat until full. :smash:
Old 12-09-2001, 09:22 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!! (rainman69)

What the...??? You can't pump your own gas because of state LAW??? What kind of backwards thinking is that?

Would someone that knows, please care to explain to me the logic of it? It's about the most stupid thing I've ever heard of...that's like a law that "you can't change your own oil," or something.
Yup, it's pretty stupid! It is clearly a law designed to create and protect jobs, no other reason. But it gets really funny - whenever the subject of changing the law comes up, officials will start talking about how New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the country, and how many hosewives have never pumped their own gas (these same poor housewives are really up the proverbial creek whenever they travel out of state!!), and the handicapped people that cant pump their own gas, and all kinds of silly irrelevant b.s. !!! I can accept the idea that the law creates and preserves a few low level jobs, but don't try to justify it as a public safety issue. MJ
Old 12-09-2001, 10:05 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!! (MNJack)

Yep, know your pain. My wife just had the minivans oil changed the other day and the idiots overfilled it. Now I have a 1998 van that leaks like a 85. :mad I've got to get an est. to repair it tomorrow. Hopefull it will only be minor.
Old 12-09-2001, 10:11 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!! (Budman78)

well i put some isopropyl alcohol in it tonight but i have that feeling its gone to be frozen tommorrow morning when i go to work so it looks like ill be calling out sick.and fixing it. :(
Old 12-09-2001, 11:30 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!! (Budman78)

Yep, know your pain. My wife just had the minivans oil changed the other day and the idiots overfilled it. Now I have a 1998 van that leaks like a 85. :mad I've got to get an est. to repair it tomorrow. Hopefull it will only be minor.
Jeez dude, how much did they over fill it by?

Get notified of new replies

To i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-10-2001, 02:22 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!! (Steve Straus)

NJ sucks with this gas law....apparently they are trying to do away with it. I presume the law is to provide more jobs for the underprivledged or uneducated. :bs :bs :bs
I always insist on pumping my own gas! Have never recieved any problems. The day i do, is tha day i leave rubber throughout there parking lot without buying any of their gas!
Old 12-10-2001, 03:32 AM
RJR99SS
Le Mans Master

full service used to mean something, but definatly not anymore. I wouldnt trust the people who work there to deliver me a pizza much less touch my car. My mom is lazy so she always goes to full service stations and every single time she goes there the ape on service rips her fuel door off.

Its partly because most of them are just plain stupid, but the main part is that they're totally ignorant of cars. The boss just hires them and tells them to go out and fill the tank, which anyone can do.

One time i was "lucky" to be at a full service station and the two attendants there were very jealous of the person's camaro they were filling up. I heard them say they should spit in the gastank and let the air out of his tires. I just said to them in a loud voice "you think thats a good idea?", that took care of their vengfull thoughts.

But thats another sad thing these days, if you got a nice car you cant really take it anywhere or trust anyone else to do something with it, because people just love to break your nice things for some reason....
Old 12-10-2001, 04:03 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!! (RJR99SS)

I always pump my own in the Vette. If they give me any lip just move on. I got some crap from an old pump jockey the other day for pumping my own in my Grand Prix. I said let them come get me. They take to long to pump the gas. I have waited up to 5 minutes for them to take the nozzle out of hte tank. It is a stupid law. Why not have self serve and full serve for those unable to pump their own

Quick Reply: i have the worst luck!!!!!!!!!