C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any suggestions for rad overflow tank?

Old 12-09-2001, 04:13 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default Any suggestions for rad overflow tank?

I have a 72 that is undergoing a full resto. I will be using a Be-Cool rad with Spal fans, and I want to use a overflow tank, but I don't want to pay the money for an expensive aluminum aftermarket one if I don't have to. Size is an issue as I have mounted my MSD-6AL and fan relay above the stock overflow spot in the passenger fender well area. I was wondering if any fellow forum members used a plastic one from another car, and could suggest it before I make a trip to the boneyard.
Old 12-09-2001, 04:51 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Any suggestions for rad overflow tank? (7t2vette)

I would like to find a solution to this problem too. as mounting another tank much lower than top of radiator doesn't seem to be a good solution..
I am trying to fit the stock overflow tank into my car now that the engine is out.....another detail....love to find another solution, as I question it's fitting anymore......hotrodding is such fun in a vette sometimes....but there are 'other' compensations....;-)))

Old 12-09-2001, 05:08 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any suggestions for rad overflow tank? (mrvette)

Hello, I went with the Be Cool unit and wanted to replace my expansion tank because it was rusted up badly. I opted to mount my MSD box where the old expansion tank. I mounted my Polished Aluminum overflow recirculating can on the radiator support with with provided hardware. Works great and a better use of space. I dont have any experience with other options.
Old 12-09-2001, 05:34 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Any suggestions for rad overflow tank? (ScubaJKD)

The 68s have an overflow hose that goes straight to the street - very messy!! :(

I went to the local autoparts store and bought a plastic overflow tank. Very cheap (and looks it), very ugly, very crude (screws into fenderwell), and very effective! :) MJ

Old 12-09-2001, 05:46 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi 7T2vette
I would check in the street rodder magazines if you're going non-stock. Street Rodder has a ton of stuff in aluminum and billet. You can probably get a long tube tank to fit right next to the radiator. It might be worth a look.
Old 12-09-2001, 07:22 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I bought a cheapo overflow tank from JC Whitney. Then made an aluminum bracket out of aluminum sheet. The tank is screwed onto the aluminum and bolted to the lower front frame in front of the radiator. The overflow hose fits nicely over the top of the radiator at the passenger side seal area and down to the tank. It works perfectly. :)
Old 12-10-2001, 05:18 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Any other ideas???

Get notified of new replies

To Any suggestions for rad overflow tank?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any suggestions for rad overflow tank?