C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 rear window trim removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 03:30 PM
dennisr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 81 rear window trim removal

I need to repaint the black trim on my 81. I think I can safely repaint the t- tops while still assembled but would like to remove the rear window trim. I can't seem to figure it out. Any tricks to this so I don't break anythimg.

Thanks as always,
Old 12-09-2001, 08:48 PM
Magnum '82
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 81 rear window trim removal (dennisr)

there is a special little tool used to remove those. They are cheap, and you should be able to pick one up at a good auto parts supply. it is a flat peice of steel that has hooks on the end. you slip it in where the clips are and rotate it-off pops the trim.
Old 12-09-2001, 10:51 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

Default Re: 81 rear window trim removal (Magnum '82)

It is easy to remove the window trim with the tool mentioned in
another post. However, if you break any of the clips in the process
of removing the trim, then the window has to be removed to
insert new clips. Would recommend purchasing the tool and
going to an auto glass shop and have someone show you how
to remove the trim. They may even remove it for you for
no charge and then you just snap it back in place after you
paint it.
Old 12-09-2001, 11:02 PM
Magnum '82
Racer

Default Re: 81 rear window trim removal (mark79,80)

I agree ,ask a glass installer nicely- the worst he could do is say no. maybe buy him a soda. Bet that will work- he'll probably remove it for you- it only takes a few seconds. Good idea mark79,80
Old 12-09-2001, 11:42 PM
Adam Wartell
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: 81 rear window trim removal (dennisr)

I'm glad you asked this question!
I'm gonna need to do the same thing soon!
Please give us an update after you get it off and tell us how it went!
Thanks!
Old 12-10-2001, 01:48 AM
lou
Racer

Default Re: 81 rear window trim removal (adamw1979)

:cry Trust me, be really carefull, I had to do that remove window to replace clip thing. not good. lou
Old 12-10-2001, 06:59 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: 81 rear window trim removal (lou)

I removed mine a while ago using a small flat bladed screwdriver & brute force :jester
If you grab hold of one of the lower ends of the piece of trim that runs over the top of the window you should be able to get it to slide up & down in its clips (do this carefully or you'll bend the trim or break a clip). Eventually you'll be able to lift it enough to get a small screwdriver in & unclip it from the lowest clip. Once you've got one of the end clips disconnected then it's easy to slide it out of the "L" piece of trim & then by gentle pulling & use of the screwdriver on each clip in turn, remove the whole piece. The lower trim comes off in the same way. Pull the trim out of the clips in a direction perpendicular to the glass. With patience & care you should be able to remove it without any damage. Giving the window & trim area a good blast of water before starting will make it a lot easier as years of dirt gathers there.
Good luck
Paul
Old 12-10-2001, 07:13 AM
Vettelaw
Advanced

Default Re: 81 rear window trim removal (lou)

Lou and others,

I understand that removing the trim and breaking one or more clips is not good. Without my AIM I just have a little hard time believing that GM could be so profoundly stupid to require removal of a major item as the rear window in order to replace a broken clip! :confused:

Can this really be true? :confused:
Old 12-10-2001, 07:50 AM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 81 rear window trim removal (Vettelaw)

A few months ago, I removed the trim on my '79 in order to paint it. Breaking one or two clips probably will not be a problem. Breaking two or more that are adjacent to one another may be a problem, there are around 10 - 12 clips total.

I have the tool mentioned previously. I found mine at NAPA for around $8.00. It is a flat, "Y" shaped tool with a handle and a hook at each of the top two ends of the "Y". The tool is about 4" wide by 8" long.

The clips are plastic, not metal so they don't bend - they break. The trick is to use the tool to relieve the clip's tension. The tool lies flat against the glass. Place one of the hooks under the trim and slide the tool along until you reach a clip. Then, carefully pull back on the tool while using your other hand to push the trim in the opposite direction. If you notice that the clip is starting to bend, you are microseconds away from it breaking on you. Once you break one, you'll get the idea of how much (or how little) tension is required. Installing the trim is a snap (no pun intended).

I looked at the clips and couldn't see why the glass would have to be removed to replace them. Maybe I wan't seeing the entire clip.
Old 12-10-2001, 03:40 PM
dennisr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 81 rear window trim removal (Neo Fender)

Thanks for the advice guys. I did what you suggested and stopped by an auto glass shop. The guy there used the tool mentioned above and pulled it off in about two minutes. I offered to pay something and he refused it and sent me on my way. Now that I see what the clip looks like it is very easy to do with the correct tool. I just was a little unsure and didnt want to break anything. I was extremely pleased receiving that kind of service for nothing. I'll definately use them if I ever need any glass work.

Thanks again,

Get notified of new replies

To 81 rear window trim removal

Quick Reply: 81 rear window trim removal