C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast Burn 385 & Tremic T56 six-speed into a 69

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 01:20 AM
EricU
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Fast Burn 385 & Tremic T56 six-speed into a 69

I just bought a Fast Burn 385 and am about to buy a Tremic T56 six speed (after market model) for my 69 convertable, I know that I have to redrill the adapter plate for the six speed tranny. Seems that this would be somewhat of a common swap.

Has anyone had any experience with this swap? I think that the shifter is about 3" too far back, any suggestions? I have heard that the B&M ripper shifter can be modified, anyone know how?

Also what about the waterpump that came with the engine? Is it o.k.?

Anyone know of a March pulley kit ( no A.C.) that would work with my engine/car combo?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Eric.

Old 12-09-2001, 09:42 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Fast Burn 385 & Tremic T56 six-speed into a 69 (EricU)

Do a search on the forum. It will help locate others who are also doing this or similar swaps.
:chevy
Old 12-09-2001, 01:43 PM
Roofless
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I just finished the 385 FB w/the Hot Cam install in my 70 Roadster and I can tell you first hand you are in for a ride, this thing is obscence. Enjoy!! :D :D :D
Old 12-09-2001, 01:58 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the engine I don't think it would be any different with regard to Water Pump and Pulleys as a ZZ4. I would search the forum for a number of previous posts (Bseery just did it) on what it took to install.

Should be incredible when completed. Good luck! :cool:
Old 12-10-2001, 12:33 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Eric,

I did a lot of measuring and pondering and couldn't figure out how to make a T56 fit. It looked like it would hit the tranny tunnel.

The production T56 fits as it is 2" shorter. It uses no adapter plate (1/2"), and a 1.5" shorter bellhousing. But with a production T56 you need a hydraulic clutch and the tailhousing has to be modified for a mechanical speedo (or go electric speedo).

Keep us posted on this. I would love a T56 if it actually can be made to fit...

The alternatives are richmond 6-speed and the Tremec TKO 5-speed. Both will fit and use the stock clutch/bellhousing. The TKO is internal rail like the T56. Richmond is external.
Old 12-10-2001, 08:32 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know about the differences between the production and aftermarket dimensions, but...

I am installing a T-56 from a 99 camaro in my 1970. I moved the whole engine transmission combo forward about two inches. This solves part of the shifter problem. It fits in the tunnel, but with very little clearance. If left in the "correct" position, the reverse lockout solenoid must be removed, then it will fit.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:50 PM
EricU
Racer

Default Re: Fast Burn 385 & Tremic T56 six-speed into a 69

Markus,

When you say you think that the T56 will hit the tunnel, how did you come up with this? I have a fax of T56 dimensions, but they are all just lengths and the fax does not have enough dimensions (such as diameter of case, height from mounting pad to top of tranny, etc.).

Also, how sure are you that the 5-speed (Tremic, not Richmond) will fit, as I sure want an overdrive but I don't want a ~$2,000 useless tranny lying around my garage.

LS1,

Did you pull your engine/tranny combo forward for tunnel clearance or for the shifter location or some other reason?

Also how are you engaging the hydraulic clutch?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Eric.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:09 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, yes, and yes

The shifter, the clearance and the clearance for all the hoses running on the back side of the engine. I can get away with this because the engine is quite a bit lighter than the original small block. about 150 lbs. I can move it all forward and not upset the weight balance of the car.

I pulled the original clutch linkages out and used the 99 camaro clutch master cylinder. I picked up the pedal assembly form the donor car and measured the amount of travel and the mounting point. Came to be really close the the travel of the original pedal. I still need to fab a bracket to hold the master cylinder, but it will work.
Old 12-12-2001, 12:02 AM
zwede
Race Director

Markus,

When you say you think that the T56 will hit the tunnel, how did you come up with this?
I helped install a Tremec TKO into a '72 Vette and it barely fit. The aftermarket T56 is 2" longer, and it looked like it would hit for sure.

Also, how sure are you that the 5-speed (Tremic, not Richmond) will fit, as I sure want an overdrive but I don't want a ~$2,000 useless tranny lying around my garage.
The Tremec TKO fit fine in my buddy's (vetmaniac on the forum) '72 behind a 540 BB. Had to shorten the driveshaft. For the tranny mount he got the 700R4 adapter bracket from http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com and welded it to the crossmember. Speedo cable hooked up. Used stock bellhousing and clutch. The shifter was modified to move to the left. The shifter stub coming out of the tranny was cut and welded at a 60dgr angle to the left. The shifter handle was cut and welded 60 dgr to the right. This moved the handle over to the left about 3" or so. The stock console was used with no modifications.
Old 12-12-2001, 12:49 AM
EricU
Racer

Default Re: Fast Burn 385 & Tremic T56 six-speed into a 69 (zwede)

Markus,

What is a "Tremic TKO"

Also, I saw your vette site, nice job on the car. How did you run your fuel return line for your EFI. I plan on eventually converting my 69 to EFI using a Haltech controller and some injectors that I have left over from my V-drive project.

Thanks, Eric.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:14 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Fast Burn 385 & Tremic T56 six-speed into a 69 (70 LS1)

I installed a tremec in my 75 and it fit fine. For a master cylinder I got one from a 85 one ton truck. Where the clutch rod passes through the firewall is a large hole and 2 smaller holes on either side. The master cylinder from the one ton fit this hole perfectly. It is also machined on 3 dimensions and these anglles were perfect. The only modification is to make the rod adjustable. This involved cutting the rod and threading it. This master cylinder can be found at any parts place and is usually in stock. Buy it, try it and if it doesn't fit return it for a refund.
Give it a try it works.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:19 AM
zwede
Race Director

Markus,

What is a "Tremic TKO"
The Tremec TKO is a stronger version of the Tremec 3550. Both are sold
by Mike Forte (I think fortespartsconnection.com or something like that).
The TKO is rated at 525 ft-lbs. About $2k.

Also, I saw your vette site, nice job on the car. How did you run your fuel return line for your EFI.
Thanks. The return line runs along the brake line on the drivers side frame
rail. It then goes up along the kick-up and back to the tank on top of the
rear frame rail. It's 3/8" aluminum line and very compliant. I don't see
any way of installing a steel line with the body on the frame.

Old 12-13-2001, 12:45 AM
EricU
Racer

Default Re: Fast Burn 385 & Tremic T56 six-speed into a 69 (norvalwilhelm)

Norval,

Was that a six speed that you installed?

I really would like to do a six speed in my car.

Thanks, Eric.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:45 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A Tremec is a 5 speed. It is overdrive. It is also a FORD transmission. They are only made for ford. Some companies modify them for chevy's. I do not want a 6 speed. I skip gears all the time with even the 5 speed. I need the overdrive with my 4.11 gears
Old 12-14-2001, 12:11 AM
EricU
Racer

Default Re: Fast Burn 385 & Tremic T56 six-speed into a 69 (zwede)

Markus, (or anybody else!)

Could you give me more info on the TKO swap, seems like the six-speed is going to be a major problem (I think I would try it though if I had more time).

How did you guys use the stock bellhousing? Is the TKO not rotated like the Camaro tranies? What throwout bearing did you use? Did you have to modify the input shaft, mounting (ie. any spacers) or anything besides the shifter handle? Also when you say that you used the stock bellhousing, do you mean the car's stock bellhousing? And what about the throwout bearing and clutch disk? Hell! where's the parts list?!

Hate to keep bugging you guys, but I really want the overdrive and I just don't have the time that I used to (wife, kids, house, business, dogs, blah, blah, blah!).

I've decided to put the crate motor in for now with my current Muncie until I get this overdrive thing figured out. Now I have to figure out what radiator, carburator (hate buying carbs as I have put EFI on my last couple of projects)and ignition (again the EFI controller should handle that!).

Thanks again for the help,

Eric.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:25 AM
GWHITE75
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

I am hoping to finish my aftermarket T-56 swap this weekend. I put in a Forte's Parts aftermarket T-56 trans, along with a fresh 454. I decided to build a new transmission crossmemeber rather than chop up my original, in case I decide to change things out again. The transmission fits up snug to the tunnel at the shifter, but no altering needed, and the shifter comes up in the middle of the console, as opposed to the side, so I will have to modify my console cover plate. I had to shorten my T-400/4 speed driveshaft 5 1/4 inches, which puts it back into the smaller part of the driveshaft tunnel farther than before, so clearance is critical. I moved the motor/transmission alignment over more toward the center to give me 3/8" clearance on both sides of the T-350 yoke, which the aftermarket transmission uses. I built a small bracket to hold the emergency brake cable wheel and bolted it to the output housing of the transmission. I used the original speedomoter plug/gear from my old 4-speed. This swap has not been too bad and I like the idea of the 2.97 first gear and .62 overdrive, this transmission will give me. I intend to send pictures back to Forte's when all is done and roadtested.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:10 PM
zwede
Race Director

Markus, (or anybody else!)

How did you guys use the stock bellhousing? Is the TKO not rotated like the Camaro tranies? What throwout bearing did you use? Did you have to modify the input shaft, mounting (ie. any spacers) or anything besides the shifter handle? Also when you say that you used the stock bellhousing, do you mean the car's stock bellhousing? And what about the throwout bearing and clutch disk? Hell! where's the parts list?!
The TKO bolts right up to a stock C3 bellhousing. Uses stock C3 26 spline clutch. Stock clutch linkage. Stock throwout bearing. The TKO is not rotated.

Old 12-14-2001, 12:21 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GWHITE,

I would like to see some pictures of this swap. Please post them up here on the forum. I want to see how you got that trans to fit! I went with the Richmond six for ease of installation.

I hope to have a webpage up soon (thanks to BSEERY), so I will be able to document my Richmond six swap. I want to have links on the webpage to others who have installed the TKO, T-56, and other Richmond six swaps.

EricU,

My advice is to take your time installing it and it will work out well. Attack each problem throughly and take one step at a time. There is alot to do to get that T-56 in there but I am sure it will be worth it in the end as my swap was!

Bob :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Fast Burn 385 & Tremic T56 six-speed into a 69

Quick Reply: Fast Burn 385 & Tremic T56 six-speed into a 69