C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Starter Solenoid Location

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 01:00 AM
Roy M
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Starter Solenoid Location

The problem with heat soak has been discussed several times. I have read several post from altering the spring in the starter, going with a mini-starter and then the relocation of the solenoid. The way I understand the remote solenoid procedure is to add an additional solenoid and then running wires from this solenoid to the solenoid on the starter. I beleive that this would help with two of my problems. It would very possibly do away with the heat soak and make removing the starter much easier due to being able to disconnect the wires at the remote solenoid when removing the starter. With headers and the heat shield, it is a pain to disconnect the wires from the solenoid when mounted on the starter.
My question is where have you folks located this remote solenoid. Hopefully, you could mount somewhere where you would not have to replace the cable from the battery. Also, when doing this, do you have to ground this solenoid and what did you ground it to.
All replies will be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 12-09-2001, 01:56 AM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Remote Starter Solenoid Location (Roy M)

Hey Roy I'm new around here but I found this while looking around. It might answer some of your Q's. I haven't done it yet but will soon as the guy I'm getting this Beauty from has already said it has this problem.
Old 12-09-2001, 01:58 AM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Remote Starter Solenoid Location (Armstrong)

Sorry bout that Roy DUH! Might help if I added the URL HUH ?
Try this https://www.corvetteforum.com/guides...d/solenoid.htm
Old 12-09-2001, 02:54 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I contemplated installing a remote solenoid, but instead went with a McCleod mini hi-torque starter. The standard starter would barely fit past my Doug Thorley headers, but the mini was a breeze to install. To be doubly sure, I wrapped a heat shield around its solenoid. 90 degree days and hour-long drives on the highway didn't even faze that starter. Hot soak problems became a thing of the past.
Old 12-09-2001, 09:42 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Remote Starter Solenoid Location (Dave68)

If you get a mini starter you won't have to worry aboutthe heat soak. Soto go through the hassle of a remote selonoid is useless. Get a mini starter and you will have plenty of clearance and no more heat soak problems
Old 12-10-2001, 11:48 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A mini starter will resolve your problems with heat soak is true. However if you dont have the desire to spend the kind of money that a good mini-starter costs the remote solenoid is an inexpensive solution.

The solenoid can be mounted just about anywhere, but the fenderwell or high on the firewall seem to be the two locations I see the most. I think you will find that you will have to replace the primary battery cable to do this install - and that does up the cost a bit.

The solenoid does need to be grounded.

The best solution I have found is to use one of the many kits available in the parts catalogs than to create your own. I say this because the jumper from the main battery post to the energizing pole on the solenoid needs to be good and heavy and most of the kits have this resolved nicely. Also hotshot makes a good kit that includes a button to allow you to crank the engine which is usefull when working under the hood sometimes.

If you have any questions you can see the link to the forums tech articles, I wrote the one about the remote solenoid and I have used one on every engine I have had in my chevys.

On the other side of the coin, an advantage to mini starters is weight - these new starters with their gear reduction motors can be as much as 10 lbs lighter than a factory unit, factor in the additional weight (however small it may be) of a remote solenoid install.

Both are good solutions to your problem, it really boils down to how much you want to spend on the fix, and how often you remove your starter.

Get notified of new replies

To Remote Starter Solenoid Location

Quick Reply: Remote Starter Solenoid Location