Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

So did anybody deep-stage with the new auto-start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default So did anybody deep-stage with the new auto-start?

Please correct me if I am wrong but I don't remember seeing anyone deep stage at the ECS CC warm-up. Not even Panuzzo.

Why was that? Are people "feeling out" auto-start before trying to deep-stage? Inquiring minds want to know
Old 03-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

No one that I know that ran the Top 16 race or the ECSCC Warm-Up race deep staged. I wonder why?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Doug 87L98
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did, in one of my time shots by accident. :o

I don't deep stage, but I take as much time to stage as a deep stager would. So my adjustment to auto-start is to do what kazman does while staging. I staged just before lighting the first set of stage bulbs, Then rolled into my stage position. In my 6 runs nobody double bulbed me, and in 2 runs I was the first to turn the stage bulbs on. In those 2 instances I lit the top bulbs and waited for the other driver to lite his top bulbs before lighting the second stage bulbs.

Everything went smoothly for me except the one time I rolled in too deep.

Last edited by Doug 87L98; 03-17-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:03 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug 87L98
I did, in one of my time shots by accident. :o

I don't deep stage, but I take as much time to stage as a deep stager would. So my adjustment to auto-start is to do what kazman does while staging. I staged just before lighting the first set of stage bulbs, Then rolled into my stage position. In my 6 runs nobody double bulbed me, and in 2 runs I was the first to turn the stage bulbs on. In those 2 instances I lit the top bulbs and waited for the other driver to lite his top bulbs before lighting the second stage bulbs.

Everything went smoothly for me except the one time I rolled in too deep.
since when? the tower was callin you deep dougie b
Old 03-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Doug 87L98
Drifting

Originally Posted by _twisted_
since when? the tower was callin you deep dougie b
That was in 06. Last year I got rid of my 2:59 gears and put in 3:07 gears. Since then I have not staged deep.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:43 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug 87L98
That was in 06. Last year I got rid of my 2:59 gears and put in 3:07 gears. Since then I have not staged deep.
time flies huh :o
Old 03-17-2008, 09:54 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

I will go deep for the Pro 10.0
Old 03-17-2008, 10:57 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Fischer
Please correct me if I am wrong but I don't remember seeing anyone deep stage at the ECS CC warm-up. Not even Panuzzo.

Why was that? Are people "feeling out" auto-start before trying to deep-stage? Inquiring minds want to know
Yes Eric I did stage deep for all my runs.. Then only problem I had was I rushed to get it in deep, & I know I did not go in the exact same amount each time... my first 2 time shots I think I was VERY deep and went RED... In the first round I was careful vs your father.. and just shut off the top bulb... and was dead late..

Note to Dad.. he was 2 car lengths ahead of me.. dialed .60 and ran 11.607 kinda cutting it close when he had me by a bunch...

Now that I've seen the tree I don't think it will be a problem to go deep.. however I might try normal next race to see if I can gain some better consistency on the tree...
Old 03-18-2008, 05:14 AM
SheDevll C6
Burning Brakes

I am normally a deep stager, but I decided to try shallow on these few races and for some reason, even though i knew I wasn't staging deep, at one point I felt rushed to stage.....

I miss deep staging, though I only did it for one season, so I am trying to adjust to shallow staging now. I almost feel like after deep staging for only one season, its not worth it to me to rush to stage deep when I can learn to stage shallow.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:51 AM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SheDevll C6
I am normally a deep stager, but I decided to try shallow on these few races and for some reason, even though i knew I wasn't staging deep, at one point I felt rushed to stage.....

I miss deep staging, though I only did it for one season, so I am trying to adjust to shallow staging now. I almost feel like after deep staging for only one season, its not worth it to me to rush to stage deep when I can learn to stage shallow.
They didn't take deep away. The problem with going shallow is that your car doesn't leave hard enough to actually go on the last yellow. Shallow means you have to anticipate (guess) on the 3 amber and actually leave before the light comes on. I'm still going to deep stage and I don't rush up the to line. Also you don't have to make a light blink to be in the same spot every time.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:18 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Fischer
So did anybody deep-stage with the new auto-start?
They have changed the Auto Start system? What is new about it???

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
They have changed the Auto Start system? What is new about it???

RACE ON!!!
The ECS Corvette Challenge has never used auto-start until this year.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:59 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

So the Auto Start system hasn't changed? It is the same old Auto Start I've been racing with for about 5 years? The thread topic made me wonder if I had something new to get used to. I like the Auto Start. It reduces game playing, like "burn downs". Our track has made courtesy staging mandatory this year. YEA!

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 03:27 PM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

In the past some tracks like Raceway would hold the tree for a deep stager. This year the starter leaves autostart on even for 2 deep cars. Your still allowed to go deep but not allowed to write deep on the car. "Deep is allowed but not honored". No more curtesy staging.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

I went deep my 1st time shot, accidentally, because I was still asleep I think. I nearly fell asleep waiting for them to finish drying the track! Still had time to set the launch RPM's.... I wish ever event would go as quickly & as smoothly as this one did!

Ron
Old 03-20-2008, 10:36 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by kazman
In the past some tracks like Raceway would hold the tree for a deep stager. This year the starter leaves autostart on even for 2 deep cars. Your still allowed to go deep but not allowed to write deep on the car. "Deep is allowed but not honored". No more curtesy staging.
That is a step backward. Just as MY track makes it mandatory, your's eliminates it. Courtesy staging combined with Auto Start, helps eliminate a lot of the game playing and speeds up the progress of the race.

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To So did anybody deep-stage with the new auto-start?

Quick Reply: So did anybody deep-stage with the new auto-start?