C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 01:01 PM
marks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clock replacement

I know that this topic has been covered many times sorry for asking again but this forum seems to have the answers for most everything. I have a 69 coupe and want to change my non working original clock to quartz. I'm probably just going to jbuy a replacement. Could someone give me the step by step process on removing it from the center cluster and what to expect or direct me to a good publication about the procedure etc?. Also once the cluster is out I thought about repainting it( has some wear around the seatbelt button). What do you guys recommend? Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 12-08-2001, 05:13 PM
7vette2
Instructor

Default Re: Clock replacement (marks)

Marks,
If you would like, I can e-mail you the procedure for clock removal and relpacement. I have it on file in my computer. Let me know.
Ben :smash:
Old 12-08-2001, 06:20 PM
7vette2
Instructor

Default Re: Clock replacement (JRChurch)

Rick,
You have new mail. Let me know if there is a problem with the attachment.
Ben
Old 12-08-2001, 08:17 PM
marks
Instructor

Default Re: Clock replacement (7vette2)

Ben,

I would appriciate that. I was playing around with the cluster and seemed to begin to figure things out until i ran into those two bolts and nuts that are connected under the radio. How in god's earth do you get to those?. Thanks for the reply.

Mark
Old 12-08-2001, 08:52 PM
7vette2
Instructor

Mark,
You have mail. Let me know if there is a problem with the file. Good luck!
Ben :flag
Old 12-09-2001, 01:48 AM
jeffnles1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Clock replacement (7vette2)

Ben,
If you get a chance, could you email the file to me as well? I'm about to undertake the great clock caper myself.

Thank you,
Jeff

jeffnles1@msn.com
Old 12-09-2001, 03:00 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Ben,

I would appriciate that. I was playing around with the cluster and seemed to begin to figure things out until i ran into those two bolts and nuts that are connected under the radio. How in god's earth do you get to those?. Thanks for the reply.

Mark
You must use a 3/8 or 5/16 (if my memory serves me well) - inch open-end wrench. It is a royal pain-in-the-butt and after doing it many times over the years, I left them out. Even though I expected some rattles, none surfaced after many months of driving. You might want to leave them out.

Word of caution: Disconnect your negative battery cable first. Also, have a rag handy to rest the threaded studs against after you pull the cluster panel away from the dash.

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2001, 10:28 AM
jbroughton
Racer

This is one of those great "while you're at it" projects. Once you have the cluster out is a good time to replace all the light bulbs. You might also decide to replace to clear lens for the gauges - it's all one piece, easy to replace while you've got it apart, and I think it was less than $10. You'd be amazed at how scratched up these things get after 30 years!

Take your time, walk away for a little while if you start losing your patience....it's tedious stuff, but it'll look great when you're done.

Old 12-09-2001, 10:50 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Clock replacement

Have fixed many clocks w/o removal w/ a shot of WD-40 from the back. Can be done from the front through the adj. hole w/ a small plastic tube.
Old 12-09-2001, 11:50 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 742 Likes on 519 Posts

Ben,

Mark
The best way I have found is to remove the passenger side lower dash panel...the one with the map picket in it. It is east and gives you a lot more room to work. With that panel off you can actually see the R/H center console lower nut. I did my clock about 2 months ago with the quartz kit and I like the results. I also like the suggestion to change your light bulbs. I bought a kit from Corvette Central that has all the lights for the car execpt for the 4 headlights. I changed all the lights in my center console and boy what a differance it makes. I don't know if lights get dim over time but my guages sure are bright now.
John

[Modified by theandies, 9:52 AM 12/9/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Clock replacement

Quick Reply: Clock replacement