C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever re-set lock tumblers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 07:17 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone ever re-set lock tumblers?

I have a new ignition lock assembly that I want to set to accept my original key. I have a GM book that shows how to set the tumblers but I do not know how to get the cylinder out of the new assembly :confused: I got the lock from auto Zone and it looks identical to the original.
Old 12-08-2001, 08:26 AM
Rocket Ron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone ever re-set lock tumblers? (silvervetteman)

I used to build locks when I worked for chevy. It has been a long time but I think that cylinder comes apart when you rut the key in, turn it and push a button down on the outside of the cylinder.
Do you have new tumblers? I think there are 5 or 6 different ones.If you don't you may still be able to get them at the dealer.
Old 12-08-2001, 10:03 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a locksmith, in town, who resets GM locks if you bring the key in. I think it cost me $25. He indicated that, with the right equipment and know-how, it was sort of a no-brainer. Well, that left me out. I think it took him a hour or two.

Gary
Old 12-08-2001, 12:36 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good news... I decided to call a mobile locksmith to re-key my new lock. Bad news... Only locks made to be re-keyed can be re-keyed. Good news.... the only problem I had was worn keys... They did not look worn, even my wifes duplicate didn't always work in the ignition. Duh! it was made from a worn original '69 key! I got four new keys made to the correct tumbler code and PRESTO.. the ignition lock works like new.. $30.00 well spent... :D

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever re-set lock tumblers?

Quick Reply: Anyone ever re-set lock tumblers?