C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shiny New Toy ends Break-in Period

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 02:56 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Shiny New Toy ends Break-in Period

I took off early today and drove 80 mile (each way) to Carmel for dinner with my wife in the Z06. A very pleasant car to cruise in I must say. Coming home I passed the 500 mile mark suggested by Chevrolet for break-in. I had kept it pretty easy with no full throttle pulls and slowly built up from about 3000 max to 4000 rpm - until tonight! Full throttle, 2nd and 3rd gear on the on ramp. What a marvelous experience! My L88 may pull harder (definitely louder!), but certainly not as smooth. What a truly fabulous car. Push it hard and then settle back at a gentile cruise of 75 mph sipping fuel at 25 miles per gallon! The cornering power is almost beyond belief.

Instead of supercharged mega cube big blocks, what a combination it would be to fit a new aluminum LS6 into a C3! Perhaps even bored and/or stroked to 427 cid as Chevy did recently for test/demo purposes.

Anyway, I still believe that the stock spec L88 has more horsepower at the wheels than the 405 hp Z06. Stating that the Z06 is the most powerful production engine ever put in the Corvette does not wash with me unless they are considering the L88 fitted with cast iron manifolds instead of the Chevrolet optional off road Kustom Headers (Hooker look-a-likes). With the exception of 6th gear, the overall gearing is very, very similar with both cars.

I am having a lot of fun getting to know the personalities of two high water marks of Corvette history.

Chuck :D
Old 12-08-2001, 03:34 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Shiny New Toy ends Break-in Period (Chuck Harmon)

Too much fun. You're going to have to give me one.
Besides, there's no way to learn how to drive stick than behind the wheel of an L88, right?
You've got TWO cars you need to take me for rides in now, my friend.
-Steve
Old 12-08-2001, 04:26 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Good for you! I have to come down again soon. Nevada just has such nice freeways I was nearly appauled at how bumpy it was on my way to Carmel. No wonder stiff Vettes get flex cracks. My 90 ZF6 felt like my mom's Old's compared to my 79. LOL

I'll be down and I'm really going to do the August L.S event. Maybe early in the 02 tell me about a Ls or Sears point event. :cheers:
Old 12-08-2001, 05:19 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Shiny New Toy ends Break-in Period (gkull)

Sounds like your having a blast.
But since I only have 200 horsepower(it still feels good to stomp it),
I really like the feeling of braking hard to a stop from about 80 mph...
Then i have to peel my eyeballs off the windshield :cool:
Old 12-08-2001, 09:57 AM
Tominator
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are a lucky man :yesnod:
Old 12-08-2001, 05:44 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyway, I still believe that the stock spec L88 has more horsepower at the wheels than the 405 hp Z06. Stating that the Z06 is the most powerful production engine ever put in the Corvette does not wash with me unless they are considering the L88 fitted with cast iron manifolds instead of the Chevrolet optional off road Kustom Headers (Hooker look-a-likes).
Chuck,
I bought a set of Kustom Headers (yes guys that was a brand name) in 1969 - they finally disintegrated a few years ago. I can confirm that they did indeed have a Chevrolet part number.

Couldn't get them in Canada at the time, so I drove down to their plant in Michigan - before leaving, I pulled off the sidepipes and hung scrap undercar exhaust with wire just to get me there. Once there, I got out the wire cutters and dropped the exhaust.....unbolted the exhaust manifolds....stuffed them in where the spare usually goes......crawled under and fought with the clutch pivot to get the headers on.

I left the slip-ins out for the trip home......hey I was only 22 years old!

As I drove across the border the officer yells, "Anything to declare?" I yell, "WHAT?????" He yells again, "Have you got anything to declare?" I yell, "WHAT????". Well you get the idea.

Driving back into Canada, I'm thinking - yea I've got something to declare......you were listening to it!!!!!!!!
:jester :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Shiny New Toy ends Break-in Period

Quick Reply: Shiny New Toy ends Break-in Period