C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Prep for Paint Poll

Old 12-07-2001, 10:54 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Prep for Paint Poll

It seems like quite a few members have done their own body work and paint prep lately. I know mine is going to need paint in the not too distant future and I'm wondering, for all of you who have or have tried to do your own body work/prep...

Oh, maybe it calls for another poll, but for those of you who have done this, an estimate of the number of hours required would be VERY interesting.

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2001, 11:23 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Body Prep for Paint Poll (jerryp58)

1 summer.
I think its going to depend on the skill, experience and tools the person has.
I think its worth it because I did it. I also have the stuff to paint other things, which I have done. And the money spent otherwise can go into more important things, like a prop or rearend.
Old 12-08-2001, 01:27 AM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Someday I will do it for my car.
Old 12-08-2001, 04:42 AM
slide
Racer

Default Re: Body Prep for Paint Poll (Chris Fowler '80)

Took about 8 months but I didn't work on it all the time, plus I took the body off and replaced the frame. One thing for sure, if you do it yourself you know what shape the cars really in.
Old 12-08-2001, 06:41 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly and truly wish I could do it myself. I have neither the time, resources, or garage space to attempt it. :cry :cry
Old 12-08-2001, 10:18 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Doing all bodywork myself, paying a professional painter to spray and the materials cost around $2500. I had to put on a new front end. I'm a novice and it took me about a year to do it. I have a place to do the work in, other than my own garage and that made a big difference to me.

According to my painter, a body shop doing it rough estimate around $8000.

Old 12-08-2001, 12:51 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Body Prep for Paint Poll (68rdstr)

seeing how i have a brand new front clip on my car, i wont have to worry about striping it down to glass and repairing the front, my car will be done in february.. hell if it took me 2 days to sand and paint the fenders, top panel and hood for it, the rest of he car will be cake.. (with one exception of the door) but that will take maybe a weekend to gut and put all the internals into the new one. I'm guessing it will take me about 2 weeks to strip, repair the 4 cracks and prime the car...... then I'm sending the car to my buddy's house to paint it.. cuz i dont wanna do it, I'll be paranoid to do it. I'd probaby be flipping out over the little things.
Old 12-08-2001, 12:52 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used all urethane paint, PPG products. Epoxy primer DP, Durethane for color, and 82u clear coat. I painted my shark in my garage last winter. My garage is heated and I have a high volume/ low pressure painting system. I also use a positive air respirator. Urethane paint can kill. It's nasty stuff, but it lasts for years.
Dan

Old 12-08-2001, 03:05 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I probabaly have 40+ hours in the body up to now, that included filling a large hole in the hood, three major cracks, and hand sanding it down to 'glass. It now has a coat of epoxy sealer on it, I have the primer, and will shoot and sand the primer in spring. At that point, I'll pay a freind of mine to shoot it in his booth with the original Burgandy using DuPont basecoat/clearcoat. Its' been a ton of work, but I don't have the funds to have this done to the level I'm looking for. If I had the bucks, I'd pay someone else!

Hans
Old 12-08-2001, 03:34 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Body Prep for Paint Poll (Wrencher)

Most bodyshops fall loosely into two catagories: jobbers (get it done fast!) or restos (get it done right!). Jobbers depend on volume for profit so they won't take the time to make sure everything is perfect. Restos will make it perfect but you pay well for their time.

If it's an option, the best option is to do the bodywork yourself, make it perfect, then have a jobber do the final painting in their booth. Unfortunately, many jobber shops won't guarentee the work unless they've done the surface prep, so they may insist on doing a primer coat.
Old 12-08-2001, 04:13 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had about 85 hours in mine. That included removing and stripping both bumpers, repairing 2 stress cracks, repairing 2 4 wheeler hits (previous owner) removing and repairing one headlight bucket, hand block sanding 3 coats of uro-primer, painting, striping, and reassembling. Use all Dupont Priemer basecoat/clearcoat. Had about $1200.00 in materials. Still haven't had time to wet sand and buff-it. Maybe over the winter! :rolleyes:
Old 12-08-2001, 07:21 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've done mine twice. It took me the better part of 6 months spare time and weekends to strip, repair and paint my 74. I used lacquer because I didn't want to deal with the hazards of urethane. If I had a fresh air respirator I might have given it a shot. It took about 4 gallons of stripper and about 2 1/2 gallons of paint to do the car. Lacquer is very forgiving and mistakes can be sanded out easily and reworked. Unfortunately it's becoming very hard to get lacquer now due to the EPA regulations. My next paint job might have to be urethane afterall. For more on paint go to my website. :seeya
Old 12-08-2001, 09:09 PM
American Boy
Pro

Default Re: Body Prep for Paint Poll (vettfixr)

I am in the process of painting my car right now, torch red.

A friend of mine is manager of a bodyshop and he offer to help me do my car in his shop. I know, I,m lucky. :D

It's a lot of work, I took off every thing that I could, doors, hood, bumpers, headlamp unit, ... It took me 7 hours each for stripping the bumpers and prep for primer. I estimate the job to about 80 hours, maybe more.

But it's the result that count. If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Stephan
Old 12-09-2001, 01:36 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

I apprecciate the replies so far, the info helps. And my hat is really off to all of you who have undertaken this task.

I thought I'd add my choice (one I forgot to put down originally) of "still thinking".

Jerry
Old 12-09-2001, 01:54 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

I would say I spent about 100 hours on the body.
Repairing a major tare and a crack on the front pass fender
Filling in the luggage rack holes
And various cracks on the tail and hood
I learned alot and hopefully my next paint job will be much more advanced.
Old 12-09-2001, 06:17 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Body Prep for Paint Poll (71,454,4spd)

I would like to mention that although the Isocyantes are dangerous and you should have a supplied air system.

The lacquer is also dangerous and you should have a supplied air. This isn't really a good reason for using lacquer.
The only reason I can think of for using it is reproduction.

I have to paint my boat this spring and didn't like the idea of buying a supplied system, Someone mentioned selling it later. This cuts the cost down for one by quite a bit. Makes it easier to do the smart thing.

I've painted both, much prefer the catylized stuff. But I'm no huge use experienced dude on this.

Get notified of new replies

To Body Prep for Paint Poll

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body Prep for Paint Poll