C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOOKER COMPETITION HEADERS.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 10:04 PM
vettecor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HOOKER COMPETITION HEADERS.........

Well I just got off the phone with Summitt Racing. I ordered a set of Hooker Competion Headers for my '77, L-48, 350. I also ordered stage 8 locking bolts and copper gaskets. I told the guy I had round ports, Is that correct?

Any forum members running the Hooker Competition Headers. I tried to order the Hedman Headers, (ceramic coated), but the sales rep said they had been discontinued! I did not want to go with the Dynomax because of the horror stories I heard about shipping Dynomax!

Are Hookers pretty good? What kind of HP gain can I expect?

Thanks for your help.

Larry
Old 12-07-2001, 10:20 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: HOOKER COMPETITION HEADERS......... (vettecor)

vettecor,
If you don`t mind my asking why did you buy "competition" headers??
...redvetracr
Old 12-07-2001, 11:35 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: HOOKER COMPETITION HEADERS......... (redvetracr)

vettecor,
If you don`t mind my asking why did you buy "competition" headers??
...redvetracr
redvetracr...its just Hooker's product name not the type of header. They are definitely "street" headers.

vettcor....I have the Hooker Competition ceramic coated. They are excellent quality, design & fit. The coating really reduces engine compartment heat dramatically. I've always had Hookers on all of my cars over the last 20+ years. I wouldn't buy any other brand. The reason people have so many problems w/Dynomax is because they are basically repackaged low rent Blackjacks which were the worst headers ever made & marketed.

Mark
Old 12-08-2001, 12:19 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: HOOKER COMPETITION HEADERS......... (mdsmith)

What determines if it's a street or competion header? I have the Hooker super comps and I would call them race headers. I ask for 1 3/4 X 28 with 3.5 inch collectors for angle plug heads. I even have a set of 14 inch collector extensions from when I drag raced with them uncapped.

Before that I had Hedman also nearly equal length and I had them for years before they melted half of the primary tubes from glowing yellow hot.

I was just on the headman web site the other day and they have a whole lineup of headers for c-3 Vettes all in 1 5/8ths

IMO race headers just don't have just have a higher price tag it's attention to detail. Like heavy flanges - nice welds - heavy guage pipe - plug clearance - equal length - nice collectors - starter and oil filter clearance.

Larry - Forget stage 8 bolts if they are 1 3/4 they won't clear the pipes. Your best bet is ARP studs with 7/16 nuts for big tube headers. The Morons at Summit screwed me and sent me 134-5601 studs and they don't fit.

So get on the phone and cancel them. I used to be a sales tech guy there and they have sales kids who drive rice rockets that have never changed the oil on a chevy V-8. They just read the books.

[Modified by gkull, 10:23 PM 12/7/2001]
Old 12-08-2001, 01:06 AM
redc3vette1
Instructor

Default Re: HOOKER COMPETITION HEADERS......... (gkull)

i also have the HOOKER SUPER COMPETITION headers love them never had a problem with them I would also call the super comps a race header they are designed a little better than your average header :cheers: :cheers:
Old 12-08-2001, 03:26 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the main advantage of Dynomax over Hooker on a smallblock C3 is ground clearence. The Dynomax design sort of stops short and dumps down on a slight angle. The Hooker are complete full length and drop down below the frame more. That was the main difference I saw between the two.
Old 12-08-2001, 09:01 AM
Eric 96
Safety Car

I have been having my Hooker Comps for 4 years, and I love 'em.
I painted mine with a ceramic based spray paint made by Duplicoat, and they have remained very nice looking.
Old 12-08-2001, 09:24 AM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: HOOKER COMPETITION HEADERS......... (Eric 70)

Does anyone know if the Super Comps fit A/T cars? I have a set of unknown headers on mine and I had to fab my own exhaust pipes; ground clearance sucks because I had to run them under the cross-member (not through the holes.)
Old 12-08-2001, 10:26 AM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: HOOKER COMPETITION HEADERS......... (Frank75)

Frank I have hooker super comps # 2134 on my 77 L48 with th350 and the 2 1/2 pipes going thru the holes. My Hooker pipes have the # punched right into the flange look for the application # I believe they stamp them all :)
Old 12-08-2001, 07:56 PM
1980ZZ4
Racer

I also have the Hooker ceramic coated super comps. You did yourself a service by buying the best the first time around and definitely won't regret it. I bought Hookers for my first car...they worked great. The next car got the Blackjack alumna coats...they sucked. I wouldn't buy nothing but Hooker ever again.
Old 12-08-2001, 09:07 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: HOOKER COMPETITION HEADERS......... (1980ZZ4)

I have the Hooker Super Comps and love them. After several bad sets of headers from other manufacturers I will never own anything but HOOKER ever again.
Old 12-08-2001, 09:09 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: HOOKER COMPETITION HEADERS......... (ScubaJKD)

i have the competition hookers also and had the super competitions on my 76 and i liked them both.
Old 12-10-2001, 07:03 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: HOOKER COMPETITION HEADERS......... (pats406nitrovette)

Got super comps on my BOSS and they're great, but the paint is awful.

Hans

Get notified of new replies

To HOOKER COMPETITION HEADERS.........

Quick Reply: HOOKER COMPETITION HEADERS.........