C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do ZZ4's fair in emmissions testing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 08:05 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do ZZ4's fair in emmissions testing?

I'm wondering if they can accept EGR primarily. I'm sure I can rejet my Comp Controlled QJet to run on the ZZ4. I'm keeping the stock intake to keep it passing emissions.

Matt
Old 12-07-2001, 09:02 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How do ZZ4's fair in emmissions testing? (Golden80)

I have the stock intake manifold so that it could have a visible EGR (not that it functions with those heads). Everything is still original on the ZZ4, including computer HEI & carb and smog stuff. It passes visual testing and the sniffer test fairs better than our late model cars.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:20 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

My ZZ3 put out 70 PPM of hydrocarbons (HC) when new. That's extremely clean!
Old 12-07-2001, 11:30 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Default Re: How do ZZ4's fair in emmissions testing? (Chris81)

I have the stock intake manifold so that it could have a visible EGR (not that it functions with those heads). Everything is still original on the ZZ4, including computer HEI & carb and smog stuff. It passes visual testing and the sniffer test fairs better than our late model cars.
That's just the info I was looking for! I've got the same setup on my California 80 with all of the comp controlled stuff. Did you have to rejet the QJet for the ZZ4 or did it work fine the way it was? After I get the ZZ4 installed I want to take my QJet over to Lars and see if he can help me fine tune it for the motor.

Matt
Old 12-08-2001, 12:35 AM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

I didn't realize the California '80's had the ECM setup. Thought '81 was the 1st year. I'm not real fond of the system and may nix it one of these days. My biggest gripe is not being able to fine tune the timing. I have the Hypertech stage II chip and Hypertech coil and a Dyna Mod module. I think I'm losing a bit of performance with the present curves, then again, I'm pretty picky. Best 60' time is 1.9x and the best 1/8 is 8.6x. The car performs very well on the bottom end, but loses it as rpm's increase. On the dyno I peak at about 4400 rpm's, where it should be around 5200, so it''s either the timing issue, or perhaps running out of air/gas with the stock intake/exhaust? The '81 has the shorty style tubular headers, but I have no idea if they're really any good. My guess is not. The ZZ4 was installed just before I bought the car. I do know that the carb was sent out for a rebuild at the time. I haven't checked it out to see if it's been modified. Please let me know how yours turns out after Lars does his magic on it. I may need to send him mine as well. Still won't solve the timing issue, but like I said, maybe that's not my 'real' problem. The changes I've made since owning the car is adding the 700r4 and the 3.54s, but should have gone with the 3.70s. :yesnod: You'll feel a huge difference in performance with that ZZ4. Great little motor, but still not a BB. Will I ever be happy? :rolleyes: :cheers:
Old 12-08-2001, 12:42 AM
Golden80
Race Director

Default Re: How do ZZ4's fair in emmissions testing? (Chris81)

The Cali 80's came with the same stuff off the 81's. Also came with a very, very mild 8.25:1 305. It's great for gas mileage! You might want to talk to Lars about the timing. He sells a recurve kit that made my car run beautifully. It's a lot smoother through acceleration. Lars also knows a lot about timing and anything else on the cars.

I have a set of Hedman headers, with smog inlets so I can hook up the air injector, sitting in my garage. They'll go on when/if I get the ZZ4. After these mods I'll be leaving everything else alone for about 5 years because of school.

Matt

[Modified by Golden80, 9:43 PM 12/7/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To How do ZZ4's fair in emmissions testing?

Quick Reply: How do ZZ4's fair in emmissions testing?