C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternator problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 07:01 PM
blackguard
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default alternator problems

I am working on my other daily driver car and can't figure out a problem I'm having. The alternator isn't charging. Car starts but the ammeter shows no charge and if I disconnect the battery it dies. Took the alternator to Kragens and it tested ok. Where should I be looking for problems?
Old 12-07-2001, 08:02 PM
rollavette71
Instructor

Default Re: alternator problems (blackguard)

Well if the car starts then the ammeter should show a negative charge, meaning the car is running off
the battery and not the altenator. My guess is the votage regulator is bad (if separate from the altenator)
or you have a broken wire/bad connection at the back of the altenator. Take a voltage reading off the altenator
with the engine running... should be around 13 volts. That will confirm the altenator is working. If you
get 13+ volts, start looking at the connections and wiring harness(es) - there has to be an open circuit
somewhere.

Good luck,

Hank
Old 12-07-2001, 08:04 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this "other" vehicle a FORD or GM? Does it have an internal or external regulator?

I'm not positive, but there needs to be a 12V line running from the RUN terminal of the ignition switch to the alternator Stator terminal. If there isn't 12V at the S terminal then the alternator won't put out. Also, when the alternator is putting out then the Field terminal will show a voltage somewhere between 6 (low output) and 15 (high output)...if you have 12V to the S terminal, but nothing at the other then use a wire and connect the S and F terminals together to "full field" the alternator. If that turns the alternator on, then the problem is the regulator.

Kragen is usually good at testing alternators, so check the Stator for 12V first...then keep us posted.
Old 12-07-2001, 08:14 PM
blackguard
Racer

thanks for the replies. It has an external regulator(ford) and it was crapped out. It runs now. Gotta keep this car running till I get the vette done. You guys are great.

Get notified of new replies

To alternator problems

Quick Reply: alternator problems