C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel hop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 05:37 PM
inqbus383
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel hop?

I am in the process of addressing suspension issues, and was wondering if anyone else has a wheel hop problem. I have the fiberglass rear spring, and it seems to hop really badly, especially in the rain.

This isn't a huge problem, since it only happens when the wheels are spinning :yesnod: , but it is rather annoying. Any ideas? :confused:
Old 12-07-2001, 06:00 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Default Re: Wheel hop? (inqbus383)

I also have a 79 and have never had wheel hop. but years ago I went with 550 front springs poly everything and 1 1/8 bar with adjustable ends. In the rear i went all poly HD trailing arms 320 or 340 mono spring Smart struts 3/4 rear with adjustable ends

I felt that the mono spring caused way to much rear squat. I also noticed from your pictures that your front end really rises. I changed to a 420 lbs steel spring. I have always been impressed with Trans-am race cars. If your watch them go around a track the front end never changes more than three inches or so from wide open throttle banging gears to stompng on the front brakes at 175 mph to make a 30 mph turn.

So I attempted to do the same thing with light weight body parts and gutted under the hood with some of the biggest springs made. My car slides before I have body roll. I compete in BSP 315/35/17 rears 265/17 fronts
Old 12-07-2001, 06:47 PM
Brian Madderom
Instructor

Default Re: Wheel hop? (inqbus383)

It's a common problem with the composite springs, it's not the fault of the spring but the shocks! The composite has less friction than steel so you'll need a shock that can control the bouncing and/or wheel hop. I've used the Bilstein (sport) shocks and a buddy of mine used the special composite valved shocks from VBP. They both work very well although the Bilsteins are better. :seeya
Old 12-07-2001, 07:06 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

Default Re: Wheel hop? (Brian Madderom)

I also thought that it might be the spring. But his profile has some good shock listed. I'm just guessing. If you had older components with some slop and give combined with a lighter inch pound fiber spring. Wouldn't it allow enough movement that no matter what shock you put on, wheel hop would occur?
Old 12-07-2001, 07:07 PM
inqbus383
Instructor

Default Re: Wheel hop? (Brian Madderom)

Thanks guys. I checked, and i seem to have the stock black AC delco shocks. Guess i will get some blisteins! :yesnod:

The Blisteins are on my wish list, this is a great excuse to buy them! :smash: :jester

[Modified by inqbus383, 11:09 PM 12/7/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel hop?

Quick Reply: Wheel hop?