C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'79 DOOR LATCH

Old 12-07-2001, 02:13 PM
drsierra
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '79 DOOR LATCH

Has anyone had trouble with the door latch on a 1979? Mine seems to get stuck shut.
Old 12-07-2001, 02:23 PM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: '79 DOOR LATCH (drsierra)

If your talking about the outside handle, mine get stuck as well. You can buy helper springs to keep them from getting stuck. I've seen them in the ecklers catalog.

I am currently in the process of ripping my doors apart. I have a problem with my locks and the sticking handles. I've torn all of the latch and lock mechanisms out of my doors. The latches were very dirty and oily so I have just finished cleaning them and re-lubricating them where necessary. I've reinstalled everything on one door, which now works considerably better.

It'll be nice to have doors that open easily with handles that no longer stick.

David
Old 12-07-2001, 03:24 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: '79 DOOR LATCH (drsierra)

I just took mine apart because you had to give the passenger side a hard yank to get it open. I found that by adjusting the rod on the mechanism I was able to get the latch to open further which allowed the door to pop open when either handle was used. Pretty simple actually. Of course I didn't stop there...I took everything apart, cleaned out all the old solidified grease (it was like sap!) and relubed it all. Now everything in there works smoothly!

Chris

Get notified of new replies

To '79 DOOR LATCH

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '79 DOOR LATCH