C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 04:22 PM
SWVET
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Question

My corvette dealership is running a special - for $19.95 they will fill your tires with nitrogen. Is this something worth condering? What are the benefits? Thanks in advance
Old 03-09-2008, 04:32 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by SWVET
My corvette dealership is running a special - for $19.95 they will fill your tires with nitrogen. Is this something worth condering? What are the benefits? Thanks in advance
COMPLETE AND TOTAL WASTE OF YOUR TIME AND MONEY.

There, I feel better. The has been discussed to death here on the forum. Are you willing to go back and only use Nitrogen on future fills? Are you willing to only use nitrogen on subsequent fills and seek out nitrogen fills when you are traveling? Nitrogen will still vary with air temperature and you will need to maintain your tires. Tire pressure is not a set it an forget it item and needs to checked and adjusted with the change in season. The air in your tires is currently 78% nitrogen. This air will vary about 1 psi for every 10 degree change in temperature. Warmer temps and the pressure will increase, colder temps and the pressure will decrease.

For everyday driving you will not see much benefit from a nitrogen fill. The major benefit of nitrogen is for long term storage where the dry nitrogen will do less damage to the tire and TPS. It is going to be more stable over extreme temperature swings such as a Nascar race or when used in aircraft tires that will have 100 degree temp swings as the aircraft ascends or descends in altitude.

Last edited by talon90; 03-09-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:34 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know there's all kinds of controversy over this subject. But I can tell you this, if your dealer is selling it for 19.95, I'm positive you can get it elsewhere for less.
I'm no expert, but once you go with nitrogen, then if you ever do need a little more pressure in the tire, you'll have to go back to the dealer for it, (not too convenient in my book).
Old 03-09-2008, 04:35 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Sounds like solid advice to me, can not argue with facts.
Originally Posted by talon90

There, I feel better. The has been discussed to death here on the forum. Are you willing to go back and only use Nitrogen on future fills? Are you willing to only use nitrogen on subsequent fills and seek out nitrogen fills when you are traveling? Nitrogen will still vary with air temperature and you will need to maintain your tires. Tire pressure is not a set it an forget it item and needs to checked and adjusted with the change in season. The air in your tires is currently 78% nitrogen. This air will vary about 1 psi for every 10 degree change in temperature. Warmer temps and the pressure will increase, colder temps and the pressure will decrease.

For everyday driving you will not see much benefit from a nitrogen fill. The major benefit of nitrogen is for long term storage where the dry nitrogen will do less damage to the tire and TPS. It is going to be more stable over extreme temperature swings such as a Nascar race or when used in aircraft tires that will have 100 degree temp swings as the aircraft ascends or descends in altitude.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:38 PM
SWVET
Advanced

Thank you all for your honest input.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:42 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are some benefits to it. We use it in our aircraft because its safer under stress (ie when heat is applied to it) but I wouldnt spend the $20 bucks.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:45 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

There, I feel better. .
Old 03-09-2008, 06:02 PM
John Ell
Instructor

Save your money and time. Use air.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:52 PM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 484 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The air in your tires is currently 78% nitrogen.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:54 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Waste of money.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:53 PM
als2052
Burning Brakes

As long as regular air is free, why bother with nitrogen?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:56 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Another thing nitrogen can help with is that it is almost always dry. Water vapor in the tires causes a significant pressure change with temperature if it is so wet that the water is condensing to droplets under pressure. Water vapor has 1200 times the volume of liquid water. So, instead of wasting $20 on nitrogen, just make sure you blow any water out of the air line before you fill your tires and you'll have the same effect.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Question

Quick Reply: Tire Question