C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Engineering shifter handle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 12:38 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Long Engineering shifter handle?

Which shifter handle are you guys running with the Long Engineering Richmond shifter? Their catalog shows two straight-up handles that should fit, HN1075, which is 8.5" tall, has a square(ish) shaft with the word "LONG" on it, and HR1085, which is 9.125" tall and looks like it has a round shaft without wording. Which one should I order.

The Long shifter can be mounted in two positions on the transmission. Should I use the forward or rearward mounting holes?

Thanks! -Joe
Old 12-08-2001, 08:02 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Long Engineering shifter handle? (Flareside)

My R.O.D. came with the square 'Long' shifter. I dunno about the 5 speed mount position, though.
:chevy
Old 12-08-2001, 12:15 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Joe, use the rear mounting position for the shifter. '

For the shifter, I would go with the shorter of the two. As I described in your other topic, I modified mine from my old Hurst comp+ setup. Mine measures 8" from bottom of the handle to the top of the threads. Keep in mind that the mount of the shifter for the handle will stick up quite a bit and is only about 1-1/2" to 2" below the console plate when finished. I'm not sure how high the factory shifter is since mine was an auto conversion, but using the shorter handle should leave you with about 6" measured from console plate to the threads of the handle. Any taller would probably seem uncomfortable. Also, since these are straight handles, it may become neccessary to heat and bend the handle back a bit to get the right feel. This it what Chuck Harmon did with his that is on his ROD 6speed, and as I recall, he has the sqaure shaft type.

Tom

P.S. I just dug up my manual and will fax it to you Monday. I will email you first and let you know when to expect it.
Old 12-08-2001, 12:23 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: Long Engineering shifter handle? (tsw71)

Wow Tom, measurements and everything! Your timely, thorough help is greatly appreciated! I definitely own you one...

Thanks!

-Joe
Old 12-08-2001, 12:26 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: Long Engineering shifter handle? (tsw71)

Tom, I just measured the stock shifter, and it's 6" from the console plate to the top of the ball, so the short handle should be very close. Thanks again. -Joe
Old 12-08-2001, 12:42 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Your welcome. I'm glad I could help. One other thing. As I was just going through the manual, I saw a reference to a Richmond mount braket. There is no part number, but the sentence seemed to imply that there is the option of reworking the mount as we have talked about OR using the Richmond mount. I will still be sending you the iInfo on this nodification, but it may make your life a bit easier if in fact they make one that's ready to go. You may want to give them a call and see if it exists.

Tom :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Long Engineering shifter handle?

Quick Reply: Long Engineering shifter handle?