C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last minute advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 11:45 AM
jeffnles1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Last minute advice needed

OK, I have all the parts or will in the next day.

I'm going to replace the water pump. I've done it on other (lesser) chevys years ago, but not on a Vette. I'm going to replace upper and lower hoses and heater hoses while I'm in there.

I'm not even sure the pump is bad, I think it's just the gasket where it bolts to the block, but for the cost of a new water pump, I might as well replace it given the hassle of removing it for a gasket.

Some quick questions:
Do I really need to remove the radiator shroud to do this job? It looks like that would be worse than the rest of the job.

Should I use teflon tape on the threads for the big plug and the heater hose fitting?

Any tricks to remove the studs in the front? I remember this being a bit of a pain.

Any tricks to replace the fan clutch and pully? Should they line up on anything?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-07-2001, 12:09 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Last minute advice needed (jeffnles1)

1) The rad shroud does not need to be removed for the water pump but might be a pain in the butt for the lower hose.

2) Yes, use teflon tape on the pipe plug.

3) No tricks other than double nut it if you have a problem.

4) Couldn't tell you, I think its about three million times easier than putting the flex fan that I have back on. Put the puley on the studs, then the fan, and you are away to the races.

I hope this was of some help. Overall its an easy job. Have fun!
Old 12-07-2001, 12:35 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Last minute advice needed (MikeC)

Jeff,

Let us know how it goes. I'll be doing it soon. In fact, I've already gotten the new pump--it's here on the floor next to me--, but I don't think I'll have time to do it over the weekend.

I've already pulled the fan and pulley, and it was not necessary to mess up with the shroud.

I believe you'll need to put some sealant on (some of) the bolts, so make sure you have some Permatex #2 handy.

-Pedro

Old 12-07-2001, 02:53 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Last minute advice needed (Pedro'74)

This is a little hard to desribe.
To remove the nuts on the fan I put a screw driver between the shaft and a nut. then break loose one of the nuts/bolts, turn to another and repeat. With them all broken loose you can now remove them.
The screw driver is jamming between the post and nut for a handle to prevent the fan from turning.
Old 12-08-2001, 02:36 AM
jeffnles1
Pro

Default Re: Last minute advice needed (Techno)

Thanks for all the tips. I'll drop a note to let you all know how it went. It's going to be cold here over the weekend and messing with wet stuff in the cold just isn't fun at all. I may wait a couple days to see if it warms up

I'm really glad the shroud can stay on. Getting to all the screws along the bottom looks like a lot of fun. I was thinking if it had to go, I may as well do a frame off resto on the car as I'd be 1/2 way there anyway. :)

Jeff
Old 12-08-2001, 03:18 AM
Mark69
Instructor

Hey, changing the water pump is not that bad, just a little wet. Took me about 1 or 2 hours to do this, including the time to paint the new water pump in nice orange color. OK, I admit it was the second time to change the pump just 6 weeks after I put on the old one when changing the timing gears. So all the bolts just knew what I wanted from them. :D
Old 12-08-2001, 03:42 AM
jeffnles1
Pro

Default Re: Last minute advice needed (Mark69)

Mark,
Thanks for the encouragement. I've already painted the new pump. I'm also going to replace the upper & lower radiator hoses, the heater hoses, and put a new thermostat in while I'm at it. Way I look at it, if I'm in there, may as well do it all and get it over with.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2001, 03:52 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Heres some advice...disconnect the battery before sticking your hands in the fan. Ouch. You never know what wierd stuff can happen. :eek:
Old 12-08-2001, 09:42 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 517 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Be real, real gentle when you remove and install the new heater hoses to the heater core. This is were many heater cores get cracked. slit the old hose and gentlely pry them off. coat the tubes with a little permatex and slowly slid on the new hoses while holding the tubes as best as possible. and be gentle.

Get notified of new replies

To Last minute advice needed

Quick Reply: Last minute advice needed