C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery drain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 10:29 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Battery drain?

I'm having problems with something draining power from the battery. Went out to drive the car today and battery was dead. :sad: Wasn't there something said about a switch, where if the wipers don't seat properly, they can draw current. My wiper door is not working properly and I'm thinking the problems are related. Anybody had this problem?
Old 12-07-2001, 01:23 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Battery drain? (Marks69BB)

Mark, battery drains are real common (why do we all have those cutoff switches? :) ) , and most common source is wiper system. I dont know if the park switch actually causes a drain. I would pull the fuse and see if the drain stops. If it does, it's in the wiper system somewhere and you can investigate further. MJ

[Modified by MNJack, 12:27 PM 12/7/2001]
Old 12-07-2001, 02:39 PM
MikeE.79
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A way to find out what might be draining power from your battery is to disconnect the positive terminal and get yourself a 12volt light with aligator clamps and clip one wire on the positive post and the other one on the cable, if the light burns bright you have a drain. Start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out or very dim if you have a clock running. Find out what that fuse controls will narrow it down along ways. I don't know about your 69 but I talked to a Rep. from Mid America when I went to their car show in Effingham IL. last year and he said alot of times the dome light timer goes bad causing a drain. I don't know if your 69 has that or not. :chevy
Old 12-07-2001, 03:18 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Battery drain? (MikeE.79)

I would check the courtesy light switches first. Much easeir and usually the problem. JUst push them in to check. If you have a voltmeter, place one lead on a terminal and the other on the plastic case. The acid can make the plastic between posts conductive. You can clean/nuetralize with baking soda Don't do this if the baking soda water can leak into the cell holes.

Having someone else watch the light or other indicator will allow you to stay at pulling and replacing the fuses in one shot.

I don't think the wiper switches are energized. They just tell the motor when the door is open and the door when the wipers are parked. There is another solnoid under the dash for the wiper system. The circut for the wipers is also all negative, only one positive, check this to be sure.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:46 PM
spiru
Instructor

Default Re: Battery drain? (Techno)

Could this wiper motor issue apply to a 78? If I don't start the car at least once a day the battery will be dead whenever I do try and start it.

Thanks,
Chaz
Old 12-07-2001, 11:25 PM
Luv2Kruz
Racer

Had the same problem. Turned out to be the little light in the rear centre compartment. Didn't push on the door hard enough to hear the 'click' and the light stayed on all the time.

Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Battery drain?

Quick Reply: Battery drain?