C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight assembly?

Old 12-07-2001, 06:43 AM
Fleetwood
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight assembly?

I am at the stage where I am ready to fit the headlights back in to the car,is it easier to fit the support frame to the car & then the headlight housing,or is it easier to fit it as a complete unit?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 12-07-2001, 08:42 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Headlight assembly? (Fleetwood)

It's easier as a complete unit. Leave the cover for the headlights off (the one held on by 4 screws and has two large holes in it for the bulbs). Loosen the three adjustment bolts at the pivot so that the cover (the part you see when done) slides down and forward. Remove the stepped screw that holds the two major pieces together in the front. This will let the front lip hang down low into the support.
Now fish the unit in place in between the radiator and front end and in place. Because you have the cover part low and forward, you can mount the support without worrying about the fit of the cover or scratching your paint. Just watch the front lip so it doesn't hit the rear lip of that nose support metal piece. Once the support is mounted in place you can push and pull the top part around until it fits flush. You might have to tap on the pivots with a screwdriver from underneath to get it to move around. Tighten the pivot bolts and reattach the stepped bolt. Now just adjust the front with the adjustment screw until the front lip is flush!

I'm sure there are many other methods that would work here but this one works for me!
Old 12-07-2001, 08:44 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Headlight assembly? (lbell101)

I guess I'm assuming that the headlights are similar on '79s but I'm not sure. There are pics of the units at my website.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:34 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, I suppose. I install the supports first, then put in the headight doors without bezels. Breaking it up this way makes it a little easier (less bulk to work with per side) and allows me to minimize nicking the paint. Probably takes twice as long, but I'm old and slow anyway.
:)
Old 12-08-2001, 06:53 AM
Fleetwood
Pro

Thanks guys,seeing as there are no tricks to this,I may fit the support frame first.
Old 12-08-2001, 09:36 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Ya - you could try the 'putting in the support first method' first. Then if you run into problems you could always go the 'whole asembly' route. It's only a matter of 5 bolts to pop the support in and out. :)

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight assembly?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight assembly?