C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center cap fell off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 12:36 AM
Jenny
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center cap fell off.

1 is in- you cannot move it. 2 are a little loose and one just comes off with the slightest of touch. How can i re-attach this? Has anyone done this? I'm sure it's a common problem.
Old 12-07-2001, 12:39 AM
Green 79
Advanced

Default Re: Center cap fell off. (Jenny)

I know with my ralley wheels you have to be careful when you reinstall center cap. Always keep a spare with car.
Old 12-07-2001, 12:46 AM
lou
Racer

As they get older the snap in feature gets loose. If you don't want to buy new ones, clear RTV works fine. lou
Old 12-07-2001, 10:17 AM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Center cap fell off. (lou)

The center caps on my '81 are metal (cast) and have three allen head screws that secure them to the wheel. I had one come loose and fall off only to find the allen screws had loosened. I remember how my (9 year old) daughter laughed when I ran across a busy interssection to retrieve my cap before it was hit by a passing car.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:47 AM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the plastic center caps, then they should snap in, however as they are removed and re-installed over the years and as the plastic gets more brittle with age, some of the plastic 'lips' will break off, and as has been suggested, your only solution is to either buy new and replace or use the RTV after thorough cleaning of both cap and wheel surface.

The RTV will hold until you need to remove cap, for tire dismounting. Should only take a small amount of RTV Sealant, and the 'clear' color is a good suggestion.

Get notified of new replies

To Center cap fell off.

Quick Reply: Center cap fell off.