C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointment with the windshield frame and a Tip

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 12:32 AM
MoneyPit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Disappointment with the windshield frame and a Tip

Today was my first real disappoint with finding the Bubba stuff. I had a mobile a windshield doctor come by and ****** the windshield out so that I could do a little restoring on the frame. Oops, the header frame is composed mostly of air nowadays. The whole front contact side is rotten with the cancer. The windshield guy is a day late getting there, so I think there is no way I can get anything for my weekend project. I go inside and start calling vendors for frame parts. The vendors that have it do not accept AMEX, and the ones that accept AMEX do not have it in stock. So I make my last call to Ecklers. They got it and take AMEX whoo hoo!!!! It was only going to cost $40 over there already high $20 shipping to have the header and corners fedexed. I never really understand that how come you have to pay the first twenty for shipping and handling and then tack on more for Fedex. Obviously the first amount should not apply, but screw it I am desperate to fix this part this weekend so just gig me the $60 and please sir may I have another.

However, the nice attendant forgot to get my billing address, so he just inserted the address where my catalogs go when he could not get in touch with me. This came back as a fraudulent transaction and presto, whamo, no new frame parts for Chuck this week. The really frustrating part is when I called this guy back(who really was nice when I spoke with him orginally--then again I just bought $400 dollars worth of parts from him), he says we could not get in touch with you so "we did a look up and called the address next you and that person said the people next door had your last name, but you did not live at the address that was called". I think Eklers may be hiring MENSA people now. What the F****************** was that all about. If any of you know what that quote means enlighten us all. That was as close to his exact words as I can come with my anger fogged memory. The guy f****ed up. We all do it, no biggy. However, the bullsh***t story about calling an address next to my shipping address to determine if I live there is total and sensless brain puke. I guess I get to wire up that 6AL now instead.

If you trudged through the above, I have a question. I may move this to get it out of my rant. Have any of you replaced the corners and header of your windshield frame? Are there any tips you can share?

TIP: DO NOT USE SILICONE (ESPECIALLY CLEAR) TO SEAL YOUR WINDSHIELD. The mobile windshield guy tells me the stuff is very very acidic. If you have a little leak and a little rust and you think you are going to fix it with clear silicone you will have a big leak and a lot of rust soon. This is what happened to the MoneyPit. Everywhere the bubba put silicone, I have a hole in the metal frame. Use urethane made to seal glass to metal.
Old 12-07-2001, 03:07 AM
daves 72
Advanced

Default Re: Disappointment with the windshield frame and a Tip (MoneyPit)

Moneypit,
I didn't have to replace my windshield frame almost no rust there. I got luckey!So I can only say sorry you do,BUT there is a good article on how to do that in cars&parts corvette mag.volume 4 number 1 february 2001.
hope this helps
Dave

Old 12-07-2001, 10:21 AM
MoneyPit
Racer

Default Re: Disappointment with the windshield frame and a Tip (daves 72)

Thanks for the reply Dave. Whom is the publisher of that mag, or do you know where I could get a copy. Thanks. Chuck
Old 12-08-2001, 04:01 AM
daves 72
Advanced

Default Re: Disappointment with the windshield frame and a Tip (MoneyPit)

MoneyPit,
I will mail it to you if you will copy the article and mail it back to me.
email your address to corvette72@tele-net.net

Dave
Old 12-08-2001, 09:28 AM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Disappointment with the windshield frame and a Tip (daves 72)

Sorry to hear about your problem. I had to replace my entire frame top - got a used one and brazed it on. Cleanliness and good fit are probably the most important elements. I spent quite a bit of time fitting mine (take measurements and make drawings before you remove the old stuff) but it was worth it. I used clamps and angle-iron for alignment. The windshield reinstall was a piece of cake. good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Disappointment with the windshield frame and a Tip

Quick Reply: Disappointment with the windshield frame and a Tip