C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANOTHER HEADER QUESTION ?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 11:54 PM
vettecor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ANOTHER HEADER QUESTION ?????

I want to order a set of headers for my '77, L-48, 350. Does the forum pretty much agree that the Dynomax Ceramic Coated Headers would be a good choice? My car is completely stock except for the true dual system with cats that I had installed yesterday. 2.5 inch pipes, 2 cats, 2 Ravin 55 mufflers.

What size header do I need? Does anyone have the part # from Summitt of Jeg's?

Thanks
Larry
Old 12-07-2001, 12:14 AM
79er
Racer

Default Re: ANOTHER HEADER QUESTION ????? (vettecor)

Here is the part number for Jeg's the headers are priced at $209.99
289-86008 63-82 Corvette SB-Chevy
I also would highly recommend these parts to go with the headers. gaskets Percy's ''Dead Soft'' Header Gaskets. You can order them from Jeg's I not sure if you need the round or square port ask the salespersons about which one you will need. They are $40.00, but will worth it they never blow out. Also Percy's Seal-4-Good Collector Gaskets. Part #760-66001 2-1/2'' Collector Gaskets. They are $9.99 Last thing bolts: ARP Header Bolt Kit Stainless Steel 070-400-1101 SB-Chevy, Hex Head, 3/8''x .750'', 12/pkg they are $15.99
Old 12-07-2001, 12:35 AM
Garson
Racer

I went through three sets of Dyno-max headers from Jegs. They were bent or scraped badly or poorly welded. I finally went with a set of Hedman. The dyno-max headers are not packaged to ship. the collectors in all three boxes were bouncing around in the package denting and scraping the coating. The Hedmans came in great shape with a material called packing around the headers. Went on great.

Garson
Old 12-07-2001, 12:57 AM
JackCooper
Advanced

I bought a set of Summit racing headers for the c3 vette.

They worked great on my 79, they only cost 80 bucks and
came with gaskets, bolts, flanges, ect.
They're not ceramic coated or anything, but they're pretty nice
for the price. Haven't had a single problem with them.
Old 12-07-2001, 02:52 AM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: ANOTHER HEADER QUESTION ????? (JackCooper)

Just my 2 cents but I have had 2 sets of bad warped from the factory Dynomax headers, and 3 bad sets from Hedman over my long an less than jaded car building years. Only two mfg I have never had a problem with. Bassani and Hooker Super Comp. Hope this helps. OH and spend the money and get them ceramic coated. You will be glad you did 3 years later and they still look good.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:18 AM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ANOTHER HEADER QUESTION ????? (ScubaJKD)

Make sure you get 1- 5/8" primaries, these will help low end grunt, don't go bigger unless your engine is meant for higher RPM.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:28 AM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: ANOTHER HEADER QUESTION ????? (MikeC)

I don't know about the other makes, but my 77 has Hooker super comps fit like a glove. :)
Old 12-07-2001, 10:01 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: ANOTHER HEADER QUESTION ????? (paso)

Everyone always recommends the dynomax..this is the first negative I have heard about them........One thing is for sure..They are CHEAP...but my dad always told me .".Ya get what ya pay for!"
Old 12-07-2001, 10:27 AM
Allan71
Burning Brakes

Default Re: ANOTHER HEADER QUESTION ????? (Alwyn678)

My Dynomaxes also came sloppily packaged for shipping, but these headers look good and fit well. The Ceramicoats I think only come in one size for the small block and I believe they are 1 5/8 inch. Also agree with the Percy Dead Soft gaskets, and you will need the Square port type.
Old 12-07-2001, 03:07 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: ANOTHER HEADER QUESTION ????? (Allan71)

Just got a set of Dynomax and also the Percy's gaskets. In asking questions on the forum and talking with the Summit rep they said the gasket should be the same shape as the header and I should use the round gasket. When they came I checked and the round gasket fits the header perfectly. The headers looked pretty good when they arrived and weren't scraped. The flanges looked good also with the exception of one small bump around a weld which I'll file down when I install them. Also got the Summit dead soft aluminum collector gaskets and a set of Stage 8 locking bolts. I'm looking forward to seeing how much improvement they make.

Get notified of new replies

To ANOTHER HEADER QUESTION ?????

Quick Reply: ANOTHER HEADER QUESTION ?????