C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electronic ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 10:25 PM
USNEOD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default electronic ignition

I want to convert to electronic ignition in my 73 but Im confused as to the pros and cons of all the options available. A total elect ign. conversion will not accomidate my Cable tach. so is the aftermarket elect ign cap replacement the answer? And does a hotter coil 45,000+ increase HP? What about plugs and wires?
Old 12-06-2001, 10:32 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: electronic ignition (USNEOD)

Check out the Pertronics II electronic ignition. I haven't converted my 70 with a ZZ crate engine with HEI but I want to install my original 70's distrubutor so the mechanical tach will work. The Pertronics unit is what I will probably purchase. Pertronics has a web page.
Old 12-07-2001, 01:16 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Default Re: electronic ignition (USNEOD)

A properly set up points ignition system with a good curve in the distributor will outperform pretty much any aftermarket e-conversion. I'd suggest you go through your original distributor, rebuild it, set it up right, and time your engine for total timing. You'll gain much more from doing this than swapping over to electronic. Drop me an e-mail if you'd like copies of some articles on how to set your stock distributor up. A few of our Forum members can attest to the stock setup running better than the aftermarket conversions once set up right...
V8FastCars@msn.com
Old 12-07-2001, 09:09 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: electronic ignition (lars)

MSD makes a HEI Tach drive distributor. Check it out.
John
Old 12-07-2001, 09:16 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

I gotta go with Lars...I am running the original set-up......after my Pertronix II ignition module self destructed...(Not that uncommon) and the car actually runs better on the points....I am however building a new engine to drop in the car and I will probably go with a billet msd distributor at that point...but for now..I will stick with the points :cheers:
Old 12-07-2001, 03:38 PM
Techno
Drifting

Default Re: electronic ignition (Alwyn678)

I installed the unilite to replace my points, and I never looked back. If I had it to do over I would use the hall affect replacement kit. The unilite uses a plastic light breaker( uses light for the points) that bolts to the rotor. Change the rotor and you have to put it on the new one.

My opinion on the hi -output afer market ignition system is they aren't needed. I like fatter wires but they're not really needed. The one thing I do like are platinum plugs. I wouldn't get the SS braided wires, which I did for looks, because they actually degrade the spark performance, I noticed no difference.

[Modified by Techno, 7:44 PM 12/7/2001]
Old 12-08-2001, 12:47 AM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: electronic ignition (theandies)

MSD makes a HEI Tach drive distributor. Check it out.
John
MSD's part # is 8572.
If you're going to use your original '70 tach drive distributor on a ZZ engine, you're gonna need a "melonized gear" @ the bottom, else your original gear will get "all chewed up". Last time I looked @ http://www.paceparts.com, the gear was less than $30.
Cruz
Old 12-08-2001, 01:01 AM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 242 Posts

Question for Lars...
My experience with points is based on 30 year information. "Back in the old days", we only used Delco D112P points. They were great. Capable of high
RPM and long life.
We tried other brands as well, Blue Streak etc... They were not very good.

The question: What is the current points of choice today.??

A low quality set of points can really be a pain in the ---...
Thanks
Barry
Old 12-08-2001, 01:15 AM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Default Re: electronic ignition (Barry's70LT1)

I beg to differ with Lars on this one. I had points on my car for years. I had all the proper tools to set the dwell, timing etc. and the car ran fine. The problem with points is that they start to degrade from the first time you install them. I installed a Mallory Unilite conversion with NO OTHER CHANGES to the car. Same wires, same cap and rotor, same plugs, same timing and the car started better, idled smoother and revved easier with the Mallory ignition and best of all it never wears out. The car ran better than it had in the entire 18 years that I have owned the car. I have heard and read that some Forum members have had some bad experiences with Pertronix but I have heard of no bad experiences with the Mallory Unilite. Just my .02.

Get notified of new replies

To electronic ignition

Quick Reply: electronic ignition