C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency brake (help)

Old 12-06-2001, 08:20 PM
itseybit
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency brake (help)

Need help Hubby is in garage,about to have a fit,we have a 7o and he is replacing the little spring in the emer.brake and having alot of trouble.has anyone done this and is there an easy way ??? Help :blueangel:
Old 12-06-2001, 08:39 PM
EarnIt
Instructor

Default Re: Emergency brake (itseybit)

I went through the same problem.
What I needed was 2 pair of needle nose pliers and my wifes help.
While she held the pin with 1 pair I was able to put the spring on with the other, took about 5 minutes.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:45 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Emergency brake (EarnIt)

Miserable, nasty little job. Patience. You'll get it. A small bent screwdriver sometimes helps to "pry" the spring into place. Chuck
Old 12-06-2001, 09:03 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing you should not do is use pliers on the cable...you will fray the cable and it will break...I picked up my car from a repair shop and they left some vise grips on the cable...I HATE REPAIR SHOPS!

Here's what I do:

Loosen the adjusting nuts until the "hook" on the cable is almost at the end of the threads, and make sure the brake handle is all the way down. You should be able to easily pull on the cable loop coming from the wheels and slip the "hook" on the cable from the brake handle onto the loop. I didn't need any tools for it. After hooking it on you must adjust the nuts so there's no slop...then test drive, keep adjusting the nuts until you can lock up the rear wheels usually while driving 25mph; however, I've noticed with he Stingrays that you should make sure it doesn't grab while backing up...that may be easier to test for correct adjustment by adjusting it until it grabs while backing up, then loosen the nuts 1/2 a turn. If you can't accomplish this then there's something wrong with the pads or something...keep us informed.

Old 12-06-2001, 09:16 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Emergency brake (Rockn-Roll)

It's a PITA but it can be done, just time and patience.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:33 PM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Emergency brake (MikeC)

Not sure which spring you mean - there is a special tool which is essentially a piece of steel wire (hardened) with a hook in the end which can be used to stretch the spring onto it's home. The one I have is meant to install springs that hold on motorcycle exhaust pipes, but I have also used it on parking brake springs on my vette and other similar applications.

good luck to hubby!
Old 12-06-2001, 09:40 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

If you are talking about the shoe retaining springs (that go over the pin and are held on by caps), there is possibly a BIG hint for this. Compress the spring and tie it with thread http://rowleycorvette.com/corvette_repair.html. Then put it in place over the pin and place the cap on. You won't be fighting the spring that way. That was the biggest PITB about that job for me.

I saw this tip after doing my brakes, so I don't know how effective it is, but I hope it helps.

Good Luck.

[Modified by jerryp58, 8:42 PM 12/6/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Emergency brake (help)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Emergency brake (help)