C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68-74 mako convert price?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 05:57 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68-74 mako convert price?

Ok I have noticed a mako kit on a 'vert here localy. The car is in bad shape, but appears to be structuraly sound in the body. I have not looked at it closely, which I plan to do sometime soon. It is defanitly a project car, and is missing the engine and tranny among other things. This does not bother me because I plan to rebuild a 'vert(how I want it) when I graduate, So why pay for parts I will replace anyway.

I talked to my parents, and they told me if the cost was low enough they would buy it for me, and put it in storage(I will make sure it doesn't get any worse durring storage), then when I graduate they will give it to me as a graduation present along with some money to kickstart the resto process. I think is an excellent motive to get me to strive for my degree even more. :blueangel:

My question, given what I've told you, what do you think one would go for? And if you where in my shoes, would you consider buying this car? I want to be able to go to the owner with a price in mind, so I don't get ripped off.
Daniel
Old 12-06-2001, 07:32 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: 68-74 mako convert price? (daniel77350)

ttt

Someone has to know. What would you pay for a 74 roadster thats missing an engine and trans, and needs massive paint and interior work?? Forget about the macco kit.

Daniel
Old 12-06-2001, 07:54 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The price for something like this is strictly determined by how badly you want it. From what you have described, this is a MAJOR project that will require everything to be rebuilt or replaced and some items fabricated without a pattern. And, if and when you do finish the project, you will have a vehicle that is very similar - it has no market value - it only has value to one who really wants it.
Develop a project budget - list the cost of everything you think needs to be done and double that number - then double it again. Then ask yourself if you would pay that amount for a finished product.
Mako show cars were beautiful - but GM had unlimted funds to build them. Unless you are a REALLY, REALLY good craftsman and/or unless you have a TON of money that you want to donate to a project, I suggest that you pass.
I have gone thru a similar exercise with my 71. I have so much in it that I could never find a buyer who would pay anything near what I have in it. But it's a hobby for me - I intend to keep it for a long, long time. So the cost is not my primary concern.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:17 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: 68-74 mako convert price? (flynhi)

I am in the same boat as you. I know it will cost me time and gobs of money, but I would never sell unless something drastic came up and i had no choice. It is a macco...Those where aftermarket body kits I believe. I think the major changes where in the body only. I have pictures of one that is in worse shape then the one Im looking at(if you want an idea of what Im talking about). I believe someone on the forum has two similar to what Im looking at. I think it would be a fun project. If I can grab it for a couple hundred bucks I probably will. I don't plan to even start on it until after I finish school, which one be until 5 years, but of course by then the cost of junk projects like this will probably be $1,500 more, thats assuming I can find one like this. I would look for a more complete car, but I want something that needs a lot of stuff, because I would end up replacing it anyway, so there is no use is paying for parts I don't need(like an engine, unless its exactly what i plan to build up).

I will go up and wheel and deal with him tomarrow, if I can get him low enough, I will get it

Daniel
Old 12-07-2001, 12:48 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck - post a pic when you get it!

Get notified of new replies

To 68-74 mako convert price?

Quick Reply: 68-74 mako convert price?