C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-05-2015, 06:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

New Approach to Fixing Top Popping Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:20 PM
mrtoner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default UPDATE - New Approach to Fixing Top Popping Noise

NEW UPDATE -NOVEMBER 19, 2010. Since gluing the plastic receivers into the windshield header,no pops after two full years.

I did take the top off once and lubed the seals with a thin coat of dielectric grease (actually did all weatherstripping on the car.

Not a peep, not a pop. I am glad some of these have helped others.

NEW UPDATE - JUNE 6 2008

Few weeks ago I switched tops - put the e-clips in the latches, and no popping sound - at first.

On some roads, I got a VERY faint pop - only noticed because the radio was off [plus I think I am tuned in to that sound].

Checked the e-clip, still in place and roller immobilized - But I also realized I had not lubed the roller shaft.

Just to make sure, I looked at some of the other posts, and saw the one to put shrink tube on the front pins.

Went to Fry's electronics and got clear 1/2" shrink tube; shrank a piece onto each pin, and it has been totally noise free for 5-weeks now, and the outside temp is getting up there.

So it might be that the best TOTAL solution is lube the roller pin, then install 2 e-clips; for extra assurance, 2 lengths of shrink tube.....

UPDATE - ADDED VIEW TO HELP WITH INSTALLATION....
3/4 update - 75 miles and not a sound....
3/8 update - 200miles and still good
3/14 update - 350 miles and still good
3/18 update [last one] - over 2 weeks and not a sound

Glad this has helped out!

My '05 didn't have the popping of the roof panel until I drove over some rough construction areas.

I read all the threads, and it seems the culprit is [mostly] the roller in the latch.

One recommendation is to jam in a small nail or staple to prevent the roller from moving. I did that and it seems to work, but I frankly could not see why preventing the roller from rolling would eliminate the noise.

I experimented, driving the car with the latch totally disengaged, and also engaged with the latch stopped on the tightest point, just before the final latching. In both cases, there was ZERO noise.

I believe that maybe it is the axial movement of the roller as the body flexes that creates the noise - either the roller moving on the pin, or actually bottoming out on the latch cradle.

[thanks to Y2KC5NBM for the original picture]

I looked at eliminating the fair amount of end play on the roller. I bought a pack of 5/32" E-Clips from Lowes. The clip snaps securely on the pin, and is just the right thickness:

I installed one as shown:

The thickness takes out virtually all the end play, but the roller still rotates as it should.

So far, no noise after two days - easy install, don't really have to remove the latch, but that makes it easier......

Last edited by mrtoner; 11-20-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: added update
Old 03-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Batmbl
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great post with pics to boot. Keeps us informed as to how it works. I'll try it on my '05. Dealer has tried twice to fix it with no success. GM doesn't seem to have the answer; I hope you've found it!
Old 03-02-2008, 07:31 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nice post, let us know how it is after driving for awhile, hope u found the cure...
Old 03-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Snagle
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, interesting idea. It is certainly easy/cheap enough.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:02 PM
NHNASCAR24
Instructor

Great Tip. Mine does it but I was going to wait for the new GM fix. Yours looks a LOT better and easier.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for the information.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:38 PM
chet b
Drifting

Thanks and let us know how it works out after you put some miles on your car.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Crystal Vette
Pro

interesting. Keep us posted and thanks for the pics.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:52 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I eliminated the noise be putting some teflon tape between the roller and it's contact area in the windshield frame. When I examined the roller closely, it appeared to have a flat spot on it. I think the problem is the rollers are deforming and not rolling at all- they do slide a little bit during normal body flexing, thus making the noise. Seems different from this fix but whatever works! The problem area seems to be the roller.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:18 AM
ctgene
Banned Scam/Spammer

I get the noise very infrequently, but it is annoying...yours is an easy fix, so keep us posted...
Old 03-03-2008, 10:03 AM
ClovisFox
Drifting

GM has determined that it is in fact the movement of the rollers, even so slight, which is making the poping and creaking noise for the C6 clear tops. A proper and effective temporary fix is to immobilize the roller, either by slipping a thin spade into the roller and jamming it, or with some epoxy to prevent movement. GM has redesigned the latches and eliminated the rollers, replacing them with some kind of sliders which are afixed to the latches and do not move when the latches are closed. The last time I talked to them (late January) the new latches are scheduled for release in April.

Gene...
Old 03-03-2008, 10:11 AM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'll take mine in and get the new latches when they're released; that's if it annoys me enough.

So far I've been living with the occasional creak (cold weather) and pop (hot weather). Doesn't make a peep at normal (room) temps.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:34 AM
thatdood
Burning Brakes

Old 03-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Mr Toner, you're a genius. Couldn't find the 5/32" e-clip at Home Depot so used a 3/16" e-clip. Fit just fine. Was on a 200 mile trip yesterday and the top "ticking" drove me crazy. Just went for a 10 mile trial after installation and not a peep from the top. Best $0.38 I ever spent. Thanks again!
Old 03-03-2008, 01:51 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the roller pop and snap doesnt bother me, bc mine goes away very soon after the drive starts... what doesnt go away is the weatherstripping to glass contact squeeks, and that drives me nuts!
Old 03-03-2008, 02:24 PM
mrtoner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

To all:

To see if the noise you have is caused by the latch/roller assembly:

UNLATCH THE NOISY SIDE AND TAKE A DRIVE.

IF THE NOISE IS GONE, THEN FOCUS ON THE LATCH/ROLLER.

IF YOU STILL HAVE NOISE, THEN LOOK ELSEWHERE.

I emphasize the above because some of the threads on top noise are not consistent with what I call the 'popping' noise.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 AM
mrtoner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Bump

Get notified of new replies

To New Approach to Fixing Top Popping Noise

Old 03-04-2008, 06:48 PM
DrivnXcitment
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Brilliant!!!! Nice job finding a fix for this. I am going to go out tomorrow and get clips for mine too. That top is driving me crazy!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Batmbl
Burning Brakes

Default clips

Originally Posted by mrtoner
3/4 update - 75 miles and not a sound....

Is it necessary to remove the latches to install the clips? Is your top still quiet?

My '05 didn't have the popping of the roof panel until I drove over some rough construction areas.

I read all the threads, and it seems the culprit is [mostly] the roller in the latch.

One recommendation is to jam in a small nail or staple to prevent the roller from moving. I did that and it seems to work, but I frankly could not see why preventing the roller from rolling would eliminate the noise.

I experimented, driving the car with the latch totally disengaged, and also engaged with the latch stopped on the tightest point, just before the final latching. In both cases, there was ZERO noise.

I believe that maybe it is the axial movement of the roller as the body flexes that creates the noise - either the roller moving on the pin, or actually bottoming out on the latch cradle.

[thanks to Y2KC5NBM for the original picture]

I looked at eliminating the fair amount of end play on the roller. I bought a pack of 5/32" E-Clips from Lowes. The clip snaps securely on the pin, and is just the right thickness:

I installed one as shown:

The thickness takes out virtually all the end play, but the roller still rotates as it should.

So far, no noise after two days - easy install, don't really have to remove the latch, but that makes it easier......
Is it necessary to remove the latches to install the clips? Is your top still quiet?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Batmbl
Burning Brakes

Got the e-clips installed. Will test drive tomorrow and let you know how well it works for me. While at it I also wrapped the pointed attaching pegs with teflon tape. My fingers are crossed.

Quick Reply: New Approach to Fixing Top Popping Noise