C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for LARS

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 07:31 AM
84fieroburton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for LARS

some one told me to ask you these questions,
can you put nos on a cross fire ?
is it safe to do so ?
will you need to put petter pistons or a better cam in engine?
just some questions i thot of that has got me wondering :crazy:
Old 12-07-2001, 01:28 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Default Re: question for LARS (84fieroburton)

84 -
Just caught your post.... sorry for the delay.
You can put NOS on any gasoline engine. The key with an NOS system is to assure adequate and proper fuel delivery: if the system runs lean, you will produce excessive combustion chamber temperatures, leading to detonation and engine damage (burned pistons and exhaust valves). In response to this, several manufacturers have developed "kits" for certain engine configurations, and these kits, if installed correctly, will assure that the ratio of Nitrous-to-Fuel stays correct for good reliability.
Since the cross-fire engines had a very short lifespan, there is not much of a market for the NOS manufacturers to build systems for the engines. If you want to run a NOS system, you'll need to do a bit of fabrication work yourself. This will require you to get some good background and information on the setups, and you'll need to do a bit of custom machining to adapt an NOS setup to the engine in question.

You can run cast pistons with an NOS setup, providing the NOS system is of relatively mild proportions. Also assuming that your mixtures/ratios stay correct. NOS is a safe and reliable way to go if set up correctly. If you don't have a lot of building and setup experience, you might want to stick with an engine setup that there is a standard "kit" available for.
Old 12-07-2001, 07:32 AM
84fieroburton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: question for LARS (lars)

thanks bud :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To question for LARS

Quick Reply: question for LARS