C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antifreeze leaking, need help locating possible leaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 04:47 AM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze leaking, need help locating possible leaks

A nice lady ran me down before work today to tell me my car is overheating and how smoke was coming from under the hood. I immediately went back to my car to investigate. Fortunately she exaggerated about the smoke coming from under my hood, but right above the water pump of my 79 there is a foggy build up on the outside of my car. The patch was about the size of up hand and looked like steamed coolant. As I drive I can smell burning coolant if I stick my head out of the window. Once I got home, I popped the hood to investigate closer and saw a white deposit build up on the lower right hand side of my engine *Passenger side*. A light amount could also be seen on the side of the valve cover, but the major extent of the deposits were on the side of the engine right below the valve cover. I checked my coolant reservoir and found it empty. I'm assuming as I drive the coolant is spraying from somewhere under pressure, but I have no idea where it could be from. Everything under the hood seems to be at their normal driving temperature. Right after a 25 min highway drive many parts under the hood are still touchable without serious quick burn. I don't see smoke or smell anything burning, just a coolant smell and burning coolant smell. I'm a novice at car repair and despite wanting to fix it myself may have to have the problem checked professionally, but I always like to inform the forum hoping to gain some knowledge or a do it yourself fix which doesn't require the complete take apart of my car. If anyone has an idea as to where this problem is occuring I would really appreciate it. I would much rather try to fix this problem myself than taking it to a auto repair shop. It seems like every other week something new comes up on my car. When oh when will it ever be complete and problem free for atleast a year! :nonod: I will continuously check this topic for replies, if anyone needs me to elaborate more please ask, I will be more than happy to provide a clearer picture of the problem. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-06-2001, 06:00 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Antifreeze leaking, need help locating possible leaks (Phoenix79)

Phoenix79,
My best guess would be a small hole pinched or worn into one of your heater hoses. It could be anywhere but for starters look near the top A frame arm on the passenger side.

Not long after I had installed the new engine in my '80 a hole developed in one of my brand new heater hoses. The heater hose was slightly longer than the old one and this caused it to rest in a bad location. The hole was punctured by either the air conditioner bracket or the A-arm. Thinking back on the situation, this may have happened because of the broken drivers side engine mount which was allowing my engine to tilt too far over. I think that my hose may have become pinched between the A/C bracket. and A-arm. . . Hmmmmm!

Either way, please let us know what you find out.

Once I got home, I popped the hood to investigate closer and saw a white deposit build up on the lower right hand side of my engine *Passenger side*. A light amount could also be seen on the side of the valve cover, but the major extent of the deposits were on the side of the engine right below the valve cover. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-06-2001, 06:36 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Antifreeze leaking, need help locating possible leaks (Phoenix79)

A small pin-hole leak can be hard to find. Right after shutting the engine off, feel the upper hose. It should be firm amd pressurized. If so then you should be able to find the leak as coolant is under pressure. If rthe hose is soft then there is no pressure in the system making it hard to find the leak. In that case go to a radiator shop and they can put a pressure pump on where the cap is and create enough pressure to find the leak. There is a "weep" hole on the bottom of the water pump that will leak when a seal/bearing goes bad.It's purpose is to alert you to a bad pump before it siezes, shearing the shaft and throw the fan through you hood. :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Antifreeze leaking, need help locating possible leaks

Quick Reply: Antifreeze leaking, need help locating possible leaks