Sponsored by:

To Warm up or Not to Warm up

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Enthusiasts
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Warm up or Not to Warm up

That is the question. Live in MD, at what temp do you guys warm up in the morning (your cars of Course), Right now it is feeling about 35 F in the mornings. Do you guys just start and ride slow? Start and Idle? or start and Merge onto the Highway at 95 MPH. I have heard it is terrible on your car to idle, and I have also heard it is terrible to not let it idle. Your thoughts please?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:26 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I would strongly recommend either start and idle or start and drive slowly.
I would NOT recommend start and thrash. Give the oil a chance to come up in temperature.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:00 AM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah its a pretty simple question anytime you have mechanical parts with oil the oil needs to be at a certain operating temp before it can properly lubricate. This goes for engine oil, tranny oil, differential oil etc etc. What I was always told is to start the car and go on your way driving NORMALLY until all fluids have reached a good operating temp. Anyone here who says they let their engine warm up and idle for 10 minutes is wasting gas and doing their engine NO good whatsoever infact I have heard its bad to start and let idle for periods of time.
Also, anytime I see someone start their engines and rev the crap out of it right away, or go flooring it out of the neighborhood I just kind of cringe but whatever I guess its not my car.
Start the engine and drive easily is the best thing you can do.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:27 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 914 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Yeah its a pretty simple question anytime you have mechanical parts with oil the oil needs to be at a certain operating temp before it can properly lubricate. This goes for engine oil, tranny oil, differential oil etc etc. What I was always told is to start the car and go on your way driving NORMALLY until all fluids have reached a good operating temp. Anyone here who says they let their engine warm up and idle for 10 minutes is wasting gas and doing their engine NO good whatsoever infact I have heard its bad to start and let idle for periods of time.
Also, anytime I see someone start their engines and rev the crap out of it right away, or go flooring it out of the neighborhood I just kind of cringe but whatever I guess its not my car.

Pretty simple.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:44 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I typically start the car put on my seat belt and get comfortable. takes about 60 seconds and then I slowly drive off. Once the car gets warmed up (oil & water) to around 150 degrees I drive it more aggressively.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

it is unnecessary to warm up car now-a-days, just let the oil pressure get to normal then you can drive off.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:50 AM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll drive it lightly (under 3k RPM) until I see oil temps crest 180 degrees...
Old 02-28-2008, 12:12 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

letting the car sit and idle for a few minuets won't hurt the car anymore than starting it and driving it off while the oil is cold and keeping it under 3k rpm. I've always let my cars warm up and they drive much better once the idle has kicked down a bit.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:19 PM
SavPrato
Pro

Old 02-28-2008, 12:21 PM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

normal oil pressure - drive normally

normal oil temperature - drive it like you stole it
Old 02-28-2008, 12:24 PM
GRUNIE
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg1915
I typically start the car put on my seat belt and get comfortable. takes about 60 seconds and then I slowly drive off. Once the car gets warmed up (oil & water) to around 150 degrees I drive it more aggressively.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:27 PM
supergee
Racer

The engine isn't the only thing that needs to be warmed up, transmission and rear end need to get to operating temps too. Because of this, I start it, put my seatbelt on, then take off at a slow pace for about 5 minutes.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:48 PM
SebringSixSpeed
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 vett babycar
normal oil pressure - drive normally

normal oil temperature - drive it like you stole it
Thats what I was gonna say
Old 02-28-2008, 12:53 PM
clayton1
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
letting the car sit and idle for a few minuets won't hurt the car anymore than starting it and driving it off while the oil is cold and keeping it under 3k rpm. I've always let my cars warm up and they drive much better once the idle has kicked down a bit.

Ill let it warm up for a few minutes, especially if its a colder day.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

For me, it depends on the temperature outside. (this is with my truck, btw... but I'd do the same with any car).

If it's above 30-ish, I'm good with 30 seconds of idle and then I drive gentle to normal for 5-10 minutes.

Closer to 0 degrees, I let it idle a couple minutes, until I see the rpm's drop from a high idle to a lower one; then drive gentle to normal.

From -20 to 0, I'll let it idle 5 minutes first;

If it's below -20 it gets about 5 minutes and then I drive it slowly; but not because I want to... but because the other fluids are so darn thick that I can't even coast down a vertical incline! It seriously sucks when my trans fluid and diff lube are SO cold that I can't even roll down a steep hill like my driveway without applying throttle.

In every case, I never like to drive hard until I'm sure my fluids are all warm and fuzzy.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Jacks02
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 02-28-2008, 01:27 PM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I will start it up and let it idle for a few minutes if it is freezing or below,never hurts I think

Get notified of new replies

To To Warm up or Not to Warm up

Old 02-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg1915

This is exactly what I do. In fact, since I do a lot more short trips than I do long trips, I have my electronic gages set so that the oil temperature is always displayed by default.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:40 PM
EdV
Advanced

Yeah start and take it slow is the way to go... you dont waste gas and you give your car the time it needs to warm up all the fluids
Old 02-28-2008, 02:44 PM
OIF2XVET
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zilla
it is unnecessary to warm up car now-a-days, just let the oil pressure get to normal then you can drive off.
Once the oil pressure is up to normal (about 30sec) I go, but I do take it kinda easy at first just to be safe.

Quick Reply: To Warm up or Not to Warm up