C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP vs. DMH cutouts

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Midnight89
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default QTP vs. DMH cutouts

Hello All! I have a 1989 Corvette and a 2002 Camaro SS and typically spend most of my time in the C4 section, however I thought you guys might be able to provide a little additional insight on this one.

After much research, I purchased a QTP electric cutout for my SS and had it professionally installed at Vengeance Racing. Unfortunately, now the motor on the unit has completely quit working.....the unit will no longer open or close. Here's what I struggle with.....just called QTP and they only warranty their product for 90 days (are you kidding me?) and it will cost $35.00 to have it repaired. My alternative to playing this game is to simply bite the bullet and purchase a DMH cutout that is accompanied by their 4 year warranty. This option would be worthwhile for me if the DMH cutout has a better track record from a durability standpoint. Even if the DMH cutout is only marginally better from a durability standpoint, at least I wouldn't get nailed for $35.00 every time something goes wrong. Would you guys with cutouts please chime in and comment on the durability of the product you're using and/or any other issues you've experienced with them.

It's a shame that I'm at this point....I was truly happy with the QTP product (even helped several friends purchase one), however this is not exactly what I thought I would get from a company that so publicly claims to "stand behind their product".
Old 02-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,186 Likes on 685 Posts

My first QTP failed almost immediately, so it was replaced under warranty. The next one lasted for years.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I've had the same QTP cut out on my Z28 for YEARS now and it performs flawlessly and is still spot on reliable.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:02 PM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

DMH all the way guys!!! Superior to the QTP in every way imaginable!!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:27 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."

No experience with them on the C6 but on an older forum/scene I was involved in the DMHs were almost always purchased by customers who were fed up with their QTPs breaking.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:26 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 379 Likes on 192 Posts

race ready has a pretty stout unit, lifetime gaurentee
Old 02-27-2008, 06:21 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The motors on the QTP are super easy to replace - 3 allen screws, takes 2 minutes max.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Corellian Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never had a problem with my QTP cutout when i had my f body. Maybe the way you had yours installed was too close to the body or scraped the ground. Spend the $35 and have it repaired, its no biggie. DMH is not any better. I have had friends that switch from DMH to QTP. Ya they have a longer warranty but it was impossible to get in touch with him regarding it. Guess its because he is a one man show. And you are paying for the so called longer warranty.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Midnight89
Racer

Thanks for the feedback guys!

As for the mounting location, it's mounted in the perfect location....not terribly close to the body and ground clearance is not an issue (there isn't a scratch on it). My friends at Vengeance took care of the installation for me, so I know it was professionally done. I guess I'll take a look into replacing the motor on the QTP....if I can figure out how to accomplish that, at least I can get it fixed quickly and wouldn't have to deal with sending it back to QTP.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Midnight89
Thanks for the feedback guys!

As for the mounting location, it's mounted in the perfect location....not terribly close to the body and ground clearance is not an issue (there isn't a scratch on it). My friends at Vengeance took care of the installation for me, so I know it was professionally done. I guess I'll take a look into replacing the motor on the QTP....if I can figure out how to accomplish that, at least I can get it fixed quickly and wouldn't have to deal with sending it back to QTP.
It is super easy to change the motors. Jacking up the car takes the most time.

Call Ray at QTP to place your order and tell him you got the tip from Joe G on the corvetteforum. They are nice guys at that company, real car guys.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Midnight89
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe_G
It is super easy to change the motors. Jacking up the car takes the most time.

Call Ray at QTP to place your order and tell him you got the tip from Joe G on the corvetteforum. They are nice guys at that company, real car guys.
Thanks Joe. I'll give them a call and will try to get this fixed. I'm glad you've had a positive experience dealing with those guys. Thus far, I've been unable to same the same about them. Hopefully my conversation with Ray will go a little better and hopefully this motor will last longer than 8 months!

Get notified of new replies

To QTP vs. DMH cutouts

Quick Reply: QTP vs. DMH cutouts