C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Cover Installation - Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 06:18 PM
A2Shark
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Seat Cover Installation - Lessons Learned

I just finished installing new leather seat covers and I have a few tips to share based on my experience.
1. The hardware kit may not be necessary. I ordered one but could have done without it. All you really have to have are the hog rings and my kit didn't enclude enough.
2. Carefully inspect the foam padding before installing the covers. My foam had some crusty edges on it. This shows up as a bumpy line under the leather - not a good look. I had to go back and shave off all the crust and excess foam with a straight razor. Once I did that, it looked pretty good.
3. After removing the old covers, use them as a guide for placing the wires in the new covers.
4. Get an instructional guide, preferably the tape. There are instructions found at http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2001.../seatspg1.asp. These Web instructions are helpful, but incomplete. I was given the instructional tape and found it really useful. Mid-America sells it, but charge $50. It should be a throw-in when ordereing the seats - $50 is robbery.

I would be happy to donate my tape to anyone who wants it. I'll mail it to the first person to send me an email.

The job wasn't bad at all once I got the hang of it.

Brian
Old 12-05-2001, 06:25 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: Seat Cover Installation - Lessons Learned (A2Shark)

Brian you have mail.
Gary
Old 12-05-2001, 08:43 PM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Seat Cover Installation - Lessons Learned (A2Shark)

i might add a few tips if you will. i re-did my 79's seats in all leather,corvette america's covers purchased from Gary Gruhala last spring. hog rings are available at any upholstery shop,but those little spring clips used on the 78 pace car seats on up thru 82, are something upholstery shops don't have,so better order a kit. don't get the leather to tight,it will shrink. i ordered an installation kit with my covers and i'm glad i did. when i took my old covers off,several of the wires were very rusty. also,check and make sure you're using the right wire in the right place,and do one piece at a time,use the original piece as a reference.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Cover Installation - Lessons Learned

Quick Reply: Seat Cover Installation - Lessons Learned