C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to clean/condition leather

Old 12-05-2001, 03:49 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Default Best way to clean/condition leather

I have my saddle leather seats in basement storage. It's not too damp there but I need to know what is the best way to clean and what to use to preserve.
Thanks,
Gary
Old 12-05-2001, 04:06 PM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Best way to clean/condition leather (gtr1999)

Look up a company called "Leatherique" on the Net. I think they are located in Houston. They have a leather cleaner, but more importantly, they have a leather conditioner that supposedly has more proteins than any other leather conditioner. A lot of classic restoration folks use Leatherique (especially for British cars). I found them when I wanted something for my Jag seats.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:14 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you wanna go inexpensive...50/50 vinigar and water. Cleans and kills everything including odor. The vinigar smell goes away arfter all dry. Vinigar works as well as bleach without the harseness and and other saftey issues. I used it to get stuck chewing gum off my saddle color seats. Mix vinigar with water 50/50. Make the water as hot as you can stand.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:03 PM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Best way to clean/condition leather (Jvette73)

a couple of applications of saddle soap,follow up with a conditioner. almost all conditioners contain silicone,although i'm sure some are better than others. i'm still using "Eagle" brand,i bought several years ago,not sure if made anymore. i've found don't use too much,and rub it in good,or it builds up on the seat surface.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:04 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Best way to clean/condition leather (Jvette73)

I read this from a painting forum. Lacquer thinner. This was for seats that had the wrinkles and crinkles. The seats have a dye that the thinner will re-disolve and re-apply. I haven't tried this but it sounded good if the seats require it. I consider it harsh treatment but plausible. This method was mentioned by people who had used it in a profesional way.
Now given that the seats are pretty much sealed I now see why I never had much succes with "leather conditioner". It never lasted very long.

I have found some kind of little bristly brush to work better than just a rag.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:03 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Best way to clean/condition leather (Techno)

I had a little bit of a problem with vinegar. Would hesitate to try it. But I have a big problem with lacquer thinner. That is a pretty potent solvent. Why not just Zaino?
Old 12-05-2001, 10:22 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best way to clean/condition leather (paul79)

Vinegar is not harsh at all. You dont even need to wear gloves. If it wont hurt your skin, I doubt it will hurt your leather seats. I know this for a fact cause I use it myself. It works good on any kind of dirt and mold and mildew as well. Trust me. Its one of natures overlooked frugal wonders. Very cheap cleaning solution:D
Old 12-05-2001, 10:51 PM
yogi78
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Lexol. Cleaner first then the conditioner. It is much cheaper to buy if you can buy it at a saddle shop or farm supply store. Has quite a bit of lanolin so it makes the leather nice and soft. :chevy
Old 12-05-2001, 11:02 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Go to http://www.leatherique.com and check out the products, especially the rejuvenator oil.
I am not a dealer, or related or anything. Just tried the stuff on my Benz leather seats and it is better than the Connolly Hide food I formerly used.

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to clean/condition leather

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best way to clean/condition leather