C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Need Brake "How To" information

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 03:22 PM
76Stinger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I Need Brake "How To" information

Definitely decided to replace all the brakes from the ground up and what I am looking for is a "How To" site that I can look at and make a decision as to whether I will do the work myself or let someone else do it. I am just short of "Bubba" in mechanical aptitude but think I can learn just about anything.

Also looking for information about what I might need in parts if I replaced everything except lines and how much this might run. Any suggested suppliers to look at?

Very loaded questions but need to get a start somewhere.

STW :seeya
76Stinger
Robert
Old 12-05-2001, 03:46 PM
rollavette71
Instructor

Default Re: I Need Brake "How To" information (76Stinger)

Robert,

The basic bottom line is that brakes are pretty easy to work on, but its obviously
very important that they work right. If you tackle this yourself make sure you get
ALL of your questions answered one way or another (form this forum, knowledgeable
neighbor, etc.) as you're doing the job. Do NOT leave anything to chance. Brakes
and Bubba do not mix.

The archives are full of brake info. Be sure to check those out. Basic parts you may
want/need include calipers (w/stainless steel inserts), master cylinder, the flexible
brake lines that connect the caliper to the steel lines, and possibly your rotors. For
those parts you're looking at around $600, give or take. Someone might correct me
if there's a better deal around. You might also take a look at your parking brake
components.

Good luck!

Hank
Old 12-05-2001, 03:46 PM
45ACP
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Read parts 12 & 13 found on this page- http://www.idavette.net/hib/vette_bbfh.htm
Old 12-05-2001, 03:52 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Depending on how many times your brake line flare fittings were attacked with vice grips or channel locks, you may be replacing those lines.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:07 PM
Mike73
Racer

A good source for Corvette brake parts is Muskegon Brake. I have ordered 2 of their brakes kits with good success. You get a complete kit for $359.00, Their website is: http://www.muskegonbrake.com
Old 12-05-2001, 06:00 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: I Need Brake "How To" information (Mike73)

Brakes are not a bad job and not that complicated. Just take your time and be prepared for the unexpected such as fozen bolts, or fittings. Replacing "from the ground up" is a good idea as you don't want to have to do it again for a while. You may even want to replace some hard lines such as those in the rear of the car as they are cheap, easy to get to and you won't have to deal with stripped and frozen fittings. I did the same last year and when I had a question just came to the Forum and got answers almost immediately.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:37 AM
woodworkr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I Need Brake "How To" information (R. Bruno)

Robert
Like Mike said call Muskegon Brakes, ask for Shawn Fox in the Corvette Dept. The delux kit, 4 ss calipers, pads, new master, new rubber hoses, new ss trailer arm lines, 2 qts dot 5 fluid is $349. I added 4 new rotors ($60ea/$55 ea for 4) inner and outer front wheel bearings and seals, new lug studs, new lug nuts. After the $50 core per caliper rebate, all cost me $630. Not too bad I think.
As far as the work, as others have said it is not hard at all. You do have to take your time as with any other job you want to come out right. But echoing above....this is the brakes, TAKE YOUR TIME. You may have to drill the rivits off of the old rotors. Time consuming but also not hard.
When you put the new calipers on remember to torque them down.....they take 70 ft/lbs of torque.
If you decide to change the whole system, feel free to email and I will help you by walking you through the project.....been there done that have the tee shirt to prove it :)
Good Luck
JoeB

Get notified of new replies

To I Need Brake "How To" information

Quick Reply: I Need Brake "How To" information