C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield wipers locked together.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 03:22 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Windshield wipers locked together.

It was raining and I had to get to a job interview, and got there just fine by flicking on the wipers and turning them off about every 30 seconds. On the way back I noticed that my wipers had stopped...I figured it was just the fuse or some loose wire or worse. But, when I got home I found that they were stuck together! Apparently, the wipers are getting all the water off the windshield so well that it's dry when they are coming back down and skip across the windshield and after awhile the driver's side wiper by law of averages skips just at the right time for the passenger side wiper to contact it and prevent the driver's side wiper from going down and they got stuck!

I'm thinking of trying Rain-X or something like that to keep the wipers riding smoothly across the windshield...anyone experience this or have they tried Rain-X?
Old 12-05-2001, 03:25 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Windshield wipers locked together. (Rockn-Roll)

I've used Rain-x and it work OK but you have to be going over about 35 MPH. How about getting a 1" smaller wiper arm for the drivers side? That may solve it too.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:40 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

RainX works fine at highway speed. It does not work as well at lower speeds and does not handle fog very well.
:)
Old 12-05-2001, 04:47 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can reduce the friction by polishing the glass. I use plain old turtle wax and a cheap electric buffer. No more skip.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:42 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

New blades? Make sure the hole is half way between each end. I had a set of Bosch blades once where the hole was purposefully offset by about 1/4". Put them on backwards, and one end sticks out too much and will catch. Just a thought.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:03 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Windshield wipers locked together. (Larry82)

I had luck by adjusting my wipers and getting rid of the slop in the drive system.
You can check the slop by overriding when they are at the middle-touching point. Pick the blade up slightly, and gently move the arm, if there is too much slop in the system then find out where it is and remove it. I also disconnected the drive link from the motor to move the system manually. This allows you to make changes in the adjustments and see what improvement is made.
I don't recomend rain x on any car with a large windshield rake. The lights of oncoming cars and road lights cause it to gleam. I like it but couldn't stand this aspect of it.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield wipers locked together.

Quick Reply: Windshield wipers locked together.