C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the MSD 6AL worth the price for street applications?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 12:59 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Is the MSD 6AL worth the price for street applications?

I drive a 72 L48 which I am looking to upgrade some. As far as ingnition, it is a standard points style with Flame Thrower coil. I don't want to change from points but have read some good things about the MSD multi spark system. Not sure if this is somthing that would benefit a street driver.
Old 12-05-2001, 01:22 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Is the MSD 6AL worth the price for street applications? (KJL)

Go digital if your going to get a multispark. Just from write ups Crane seems to have some nice units. I personally don't have one. I do not think that your car runs any better with one if you have good components. I have mallory unilite, blaster coil, bosche platinum 4 tip plugs, and good msd 8.8 wires.

I got allot of my ideas from a local guy on this forum. He doesn't believe in them either and he has the Crane racing version. He can run without it turned on and you can't tell any difference. But just for arguments sake. On a dyno at low rpm you might see a few hp, but you couldn't ever feel it driving.

But if you have all marginal ignition and bad plugs and need a spark that can jump through carbon and corroded plug tips it just might be the thing for you.
Old 12-05-2001, 02:26 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Is the MSD 6AL worth the price for street applications? (Lt1er)

IMHO I wouldn't install a 6AL or any other ignition box unless it was in conjunction with a breakerless distributor like the MSD Corvette Tach Drive. You would see little if any benefit in a breaker type setup.

Mark
Old 12-05-2001, 02:35 PM
nunus79
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is the MSD 6AL worth the price for street applications? (KJL)

I use the MSD6A box. No problems with it.

The benefit I get out of it is that I can experiment with extreme carb mixtures, timing, and cam lumpiness and the engine fires-up and runs. The MSD takes away the ignition-related problem variable when tuning and tweaking.

If you have a good idea of what its going to take to make your setup run at or near its best, then an MSD box may not be of much benefit to you. It does help the idle. I don't know if it will increase power and won't doubt others that say it won't.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the MSD 6AL worth the price for street applications?

Quick Reply: Is the MSD 6AL worth the price for street applications?