C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

easy way to install coil springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 01:31 PM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Default easy way to install coil springs

I know this way of doing this has been talked about before.But
I don't remember seeing pictures. I had to do this today so for once I took a few pics so you guys could see how easy this is. I used a 5/8 threaded rod an old buffing pad so I didn't scratch the paint and a steel plate on the control arm side. Run the rod through the shock mounting hole and thats it. This works the same with the body on or not. No need for anything else. Brian G.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-23-2008, 03:32 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Pictures speak a thousand words ..... thanks.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:21 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I like your choice in frame colors Brian. I been using that spring compressor system for years now, works great.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:47 PM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by aworks
I know this way of doing this has been talked about before.But
I don't remember seeing pictures. I had to do this today so for once I took a few pics so you guys could see how easy this is. I used a 5/8 threaded rod an old buffing pad so I didn't scratch the paint and a steel plate on the control arm side. Run the rod through the shock mounting hole and thats it. This works the same with the body on or not. No need for anything else. Brian G.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Man aworks talk about perfect timing. I'm just about to blast and paint my frame and I was just telling my wife last night that I didn't know how to compress the coil spring without renting or buying a spring compressor (or whatever they're called). This REALLY helped me out a bunch!!!

I assume you put a steel plate on top of the shock mounting plate also?

BTW, how many quarts of primer and paint did it take to do your frame? I'm going to use the Eastwood brand.

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by 58n65; 02-23-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: add question
Old 02-24-2008, 06:02 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 58n65
Man aworks talk about perfect timing. I'm just about to blast and paint my frame and I was just telling my wife last night that I didn't know how to compress the coil spring without renting or buying a spring compressor (or whatever they're called). This REALLY helped me out a bunch!!!

BTW, how many quarts of primer and paint did it take to do your frame? I'm going to use the Eastwood brand.

Thanks again!!!
Yes a steel plate on the lower control arm and a good heavy washer at the shock hole in the frame. As far as paint. I use a SEM product called rust shield. It comes in many colors. They have a perfect semi gloss black if you are going for a stock look. It only takes about 2 quarts to do the whole frame with three coats. Been using this stuff on my frames for many years now. It's never failed on me.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:50 PM
albaseball
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last weekend I put the springs in a 65 BB car I am restoring. Since I did not have the engine installed, there was no weight in the front end to assist me. I actually found a way to do it that worked well. I raised the lower A arm to hold the spring in position against its perch in the frame. I disconnected the upper A arm, attched the ball joint to the spindle and moved the upper A arm back into position and reinsatlled the bolts and shims. Now I have the rivets in the center hub of the front rotors to contend with.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 58n65

14 years ago, I answered someone on VetteNet about how to do this very thing. I was amazed at how many didn't know about it then and I first did it on a Corvette about '78 and on a truck about '72. I have no idea who thought of it first, but it was probably the guy who built the first car with front coil springs.

Brian didn't mention it, but if you notice the red on the threaded rod, a little grease makes it work much easier with stiff springs.

It is much safer than most spring compressors since the spring cannot escape to hit anything.

Get notified of new replies

To easy way to install coil springs

Quick Reply: easy way to install coil springs