C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your C3 expertise!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 09:07 AM
'73L-82
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your C3 expertise!

Hi,
I recently purchased a 1973 Stingray L-82. The rear tail pipes do not extend through the fiberglass at the rear of the car. They curve down at the glass, similar to most any American sedan. I believe the tail pipes have been altered. Should they not extend through the glass, using a bezel to trim out the fiberglass? Please advise! In addition, I'm go to rebuild the engine in this car. I plan on doing the rebuild. I would like to increase the HP from the stock 250 HP to the 300 - 400 HP range. What is the one thing (or things) I can do to the engine during the rebuild to get into this HP range? As you can tell, I'm new to Corvettes and this forum. I appericate any advice this forum can give on the above questions. Thanks now for your reply. '73L-82
Old 12-05-2001, 09:32 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Need your C3 expertise! ('73L-82)

Here is a couple of shots that should help you:

As you can see, they have a rectangular exhaust tip that extends beyond the body. The outlets from the mufflers comes straight back. One note, the 70-72 exhaust tips have the outlet on the outside edge of the tip while the 73 has it in the center of the exhaust tip.
tom...

[Modified by Tom73, 7:38 AM 12/5/2001]
Old 12-05-2001, 09:33 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If your looking for horsepower start off buying Chevy High Performance magazine. They have tons of info in every issue. Of couse cam, headers, intake and carb will be your first choices.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:35 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 70-73s had tailpipes that extended thru the rear valance with large rectangular shaped chrome bezels. If your rear valance is solid all the way across, someone propably had sidepipes at one time or alterred it for the look of a later vette rearend with turned down tips. If it were me, I would return it back to original since the look of the rear bezels and tips is the best IMO. You can order new bezels from all of the suppliers and cut out the rear valance using them as templates or have someone do it. As far as the engine, I've got a big block but I'm sure an L82 guru will respond. Good luck and Welcome to the forum! :cheers:
Old 12-05-2001, 09:35 AM
woodworkr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum and the Corvette World.
The 73 had rectangular exhaust tips that came through the fiberglass body panels. The panel itself was trimmed with a chrome trim ring. Sounds like what you have came from a rubber rear car instead of a bumper car.
As for getting the HP that you want. I would say that has to depend on how many miles are on the motor. You could go heads, cam, intake, carb, headers, but you are still going to have the same dish pistons. Speaking for myself anyway, If I were going to do all that work to the top end, the say my luck usually goes, something will happen in the bottom end and have to start all over again. My vote is if you are going to do it then do it when you can afford to do it all. I just finished my motor, did all that was above but went 30 over, flat top pistons, double roller cam. Next is to change to roller rockers, 373 rear and maybe a 2500 stall speed, that should give me some giddy-up
Just my .02
JoeB
Old 12-05-2001, 02:59 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need your C3 expertise! (woodworkr)

Welcome to the Forum. :D
Scroll through web pages that usually have links in our signatures.
Lots of us have detailed web pages with info and specs.
Some of these nuts have the BEST detailed and step by step info on
how to install the modifications. Very helpful and detailed.
Enjoy the Vette....you made the right choice.
Mine is a L-48 ...errr...was...its now double the stock HP.

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Need your C3 expertise!

Quick Reply: Need your C3 expertise!