C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recarpeting :) Question about sides of Console

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 12:59 AM
gmsmstr
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recarpeting :) Question about sides of Console

I am in the process of recarpeting my 78. I found that the carpent in it, was already replaced before by someone who did'ent do any homework on how to carpet. I have found that on the two sides of my center console between the seats, the guy used some sort of backing board to cover up the sides of the console. This looks bad, on top of being a bad job. I looked at several pictures, and what I am finding out is that there is some sort of peice that covers the sides of the center console down to where carpet should start.

Am I correct in saying that there is something that goes there? What are they called? How much do they cost? And where can I find them? Or what is another way of fixing this issue?

Thanx,

Dennis
Old 12-05-2001, 04:21 AM
Sting Raycin
Drifting

Default Re: Recarpeting :) Question about sides of Console (gmsmstr)

Actually the pieces of pressed board covered with carpet are the factory covers for the sides of the console. The carpet on the pieces is a seperate piece from the main carpet. Check out the pictures of carpet sets in mid-america, ecklers, etc. to see this. The backing board pieces, if your's are messed up can be obtained from these sources too.
Jason :flag
Old 12-05-2001, 07:06 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Recarpeting :) Question about sides of Console (jdharkey)

Or you could make your own using the existing ones as templates. I used Foamex (lightweight plastic type stuff used for signs) as it is stronger than the original hardboard & less likely to break across the narrow part as my orginal had done.
:cheers:
Paul
Old 12-05-2001, 10:27 AM
78RedShark
Instructor

Default Re: Recarpeting :) Question about sides of Console (gmsmstr)

Just last weekend I recarpeted my 78...those console pieces were there originally...I bought the complete carpet set from Corvette Central and the carpet pieces for those side consoles fit exactly on top of those side boards you're describing. Use some 3M spray glue when applying the carpet to this piece. The hardest part was then screwing these pieces back into the 3 slots where the stay on the sides of the console...but it's done.

I'm getting pictures developped today of the final product...I'll be posting them probably tomorrow...keep an eye out for it. Remember that these side pieces should be placed over the carpet pieces for each of the driver side and passenger side...see my pics when their posted.

If you want to replace these boards, plastic cuts should work just as well...you can also buy reprod';s from ecklers, corvette central, mid-america, etc.

Rob :cheers:

[Modified by 78RedShark, 2:32 PM 12/5/2001]
Old 12-05-2001, 06:05 PM
gmsmstr
Cruising

Default Re: Recarpeting :) Question about sides of Console (78RedShark)

:D I was trying to keep costs down seeing that I am not really working right now. This is just something to pass the time. The carpet kits have always been too expensive for my blood.

Thanx, I really did'ent know that they were factory. They looked like something farmer bob put in :( I will get some plastic sheets and cut to fit, maybe even a little tigher as the ones I have are not tight at all and fell out all the time. :(

Get notified of new replies

To Recarpeting :) Question about sides of Console

Quick Reply: Recarpeting :) Question about sides of Console