C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 windshield trim ?

Old 12-04-2001, 07:03 PM
blackguard
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 79 windshield trim ?

I had a new windshield put in a few months ago and I am just now putting the trim back on. The silver trim that is at the top of the windshield that attaches to the chrome t-top trim, does it sit flush against the glass? I am having trouble getting the corners to sit flush. There is about 1/4" between the glass and trim at the corners. Also, is there suppose to be some kind of sealent under this trim. It seems that water could get up underneath and sit up there creating rust. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-04-2001, 07:26 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: 79 windshield trim ? (blackguard)

I had the windshield on my 82 replaced last fall. Just make sure that there is butyl between the glass edge and the metal sub-frame(top and sides). Then clip on the trim pieces. On mine the top corners are about 1/8 inch from the glass and I was told not to put anything into the gap. the glass needs to be able to flex a little. I didn't have any water problems on mine because I made sure there was a thick bead of butyl on the glass edge.
Also, not to be funny, did you place the trim on in the right sequence? The side pillar pieces will help keep the top corners down.
Hope this helps :seeya

[Modified by 82dukman, 6:28 PM 12/4/2001]
Old 12-04-2001, 08:56 PM
blackguard
Racer

I didn't know there was an order. I put it back on in the order I took it off in. My side pillar pieces sat on the inside of this trim piece when I took it off, so that was the way I was putting it back on. Is the side pillar trim pieces suppose to go on the outside, therefore holding the trim in place? Thanks for the info, I'm gonna have to put some more butyl in between the glass and frame.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:50 AM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Yes. On my 82 the order was the following. Top piece(across the windshield0< and then each side pillar piece. If you look at the top of the pillar pieces, you will see that the top corners "lean" in. This is what holds the top corners into the windshield. If you want, i can take a pic of mine and send it to you for comparison. let me know :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To 79 windshield trim ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 79 windshield trim ?