C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Another Oil Question - Zinc Additives

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:31 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 96 Posts

Default Another Oil Question - Zinc Additives

I have read many post stating that the Diesel oil like Delo have more Zinc Additive (ZDDP) than the conventional Oils. I have used Valvoline Racing Oil 20-50 in my Big Block for decades.
My Question is which oil has more Zinc presently - Delo400 or Valvoline Racing 20-50?
Old 02-18-2008, 01:33 AM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Much good info at the link below:

http://systems-engineering-associates.com/

For some reason, unknown to me, I can't link directly to the PDF articles, so you will have to do it manually. Click on the link above, it will take you here:

Then click where I show with the arrow, it will take you here:

There are 3 articles, click on these shown by the arrow and box.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Buy any oil you want and dump one bottle of this in the crankcase on each oil change:
http://www.zddplus.com/purchase_sixpack.htm

That's what I do on my solid lifter 283/270HP
Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

With Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec, among others, giving you a fair shot at up to 500,000-mile engine life nowadays, I question the need for ANY additive in normal driving.

That said, once an engine starts to lose pressure, compression and/or mileage, I have found that Lucas Oil Supplement can restore original performance for up to 100,000 additional miles.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by sub006
With Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec, among others, giving you a fair shot at up to 500,000-mile engine life nowadays, I question the need for ANY additive in normal driving.

That 'fair shot' is for a modern engine...not the old muscle car engine with things like solid lifters and different metal composition. The zinc component of oil was reduced greatly to save catalytic converters in modern cars. The run of the mill oil now (even leading synthetics) don't have what our cars need. There are many threads on this in the archives on this forum.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:56 PM
lib
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Necessary if newly re-built?

I have a 63 SB that was newly re-built. The block, crank, and heads were serviced and re-used. All bearings, seals, roller cam, rods, pistons+rings, valve train w/hyd. lifters, hardened valve seats,etc. are new. Does this issue w/Zinc have to do with the design of the motor, original pieces inside the motor (solid lifters) or is it the materials that the parts are made from?
Old 02-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lib
I have a 63 SB that was newly re-built. The block, crank, and heads were serviced and re-used. All bearings, seals, roller cam, rods, pistons+rings, valve train w/hyd. lifters, hardened valve seats,etc. are new. Does this issue w/Zinc have to do with the design of the motor, original pieces inside the motor (solid lifters) or is it the materials that the parts are made from?
It mainly has to do with our flat tappet cams. It's not an issue with modern engines with roller cams (or with older engines that have been converted to roller). Even the diesel oils now have less zinc than they used to.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Bob Schaefer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NCRS Threads have beaten this to death recently.....

The bottom line is to buy the oil spec not the brand. The "CI-4" spec oil (now slowly diminishing in availability) has slightly more than the newest "CJ-4" spec. However both are better spec oils than our cars lived with for most of their lives and both are sufficient for cam lubrication. Just don't use an oil for spark ignition engines: SM, SL, etc....as Vetterodder said that's a nono for flat tappet cams.

lib - you didn't mention whether you've fired up you newly rebuilt engine or not, but if not the word is that GM has resurrected the engine oil supplement p/n 88862586...just whats needed for insuring lubrication for that first start. Try to MINIMIZE running below 2000 rpm (including cranking time).

Bob

Last edited by Bob Schaefer; 02-24-2008 at 01:23 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Oil Question - Zinc Additives

Quick Reply: Another Oil Question - Zinc Additives