C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone tell me what is happening?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 11:05 AM
Skruball73
Burning Brakes

Location: Inside every color vette there is a blue one trying to come out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can anyone tell me what is happening?

My temp gauge on my 73 seems like it is in fits. the temp will be somewhere between 150 & 200 and then the needle will begin to flutter back towards the cold side. I don't know if it would be the gauge or the thermostat itself. Any suggestions? :crazy:
Old 12-04-2001, 11:11 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Can anyone tell me what is happening? (Skruball73)

LOOK AT THE DRIVERS SIDE HEAD WHERE THE TEMP SENSOR IS. ATTACHED IS THE WIRE THAT GOES TO THE BACK OF YOUR TEMP GAUGE. IT SOUNDS AS IF THIS WIRE MAY BE LOOSE, OR ABOUT TO BREAK OFF. IF NOT, YOU MIGHT HAVE A GAUGE PROB
Old 12-04-2001, 11:12 AM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bad wiring connection to me. Thermostat probably wouldn't make gauge 'flutter', can't change engine coolant temperature that quickly.

Suggest you check wiring from sending unit in head, should be on driver's side, between #s 1 & 3 cylinders, on back to gauge.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:18 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Could also be the sending unit or the contact on the sending unit. My first impression would be a sticking thermostat, but temperature changes due to thermostat problems cannot cause a gauge to "flutter"... the response factor is analog, not digital. The engine can't change temperatures fast enough, and the sending unit cannot react fast enough to "flutter" a gauge. You may have more than one problem. Check the connections at the sending unit first, then change the thermostat.... unless you have recently been playing around behind the dash.

Get notified of new replies

To Can anyone tell me what is happening?

Quick Reply: Can anyone tell me what is happening?