C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY LG Header Install Complete

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:10 PM
pwoolford
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default DIY LG Header Install Complete

Well today was the day. The LG Pro Long Tube kit with high flow cats showed up yesterday from forum vendor Bowmanized! I started around 8:15 AM and had it running by 3:30 PM. Included in this time was a trip to the store for an O2 socket and a break for lunch. I took my time and cleaned up the bolts I needed to reuse with the wire wheel. I also took quite a while to route the 02 wires so they would be as clear of the pipes as possible.

I actually didn't like the way the wires were running to the rear 02 sensors so I ended up pulling those wires back and wrapping them up neatly out of the way. To do it right I need a drill bit larger than 1" so I can route the wires over and through the tunnel plate. Dropping the pipes is easy so I'll do that another day.

IT SOUNDS FREAKIN INCREDIBLE! Words can't do it enough justice. I thought the stock C6 exhaust was a joke because it was WAY to quiet. I added a Magnaflow catback system last year and it was better but still too quiet. This thing screams now. It has a deep rumble while cruising and at WOT it sounds mean as hell. There is also a definite SOTP power increase. I couldn't possibly be any happier with this purchase and install. I was on the fence with installing headers myself for over a year and I wish I wouldn't have waited so long.

Sorry for the long rambling post!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:19 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

awesome!! i hope that one clamp doesn't hang down too far. it might snag something.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:30 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

Very nice and neatly installed
Old 02-16-2008, 09:50 PM
pwoolford
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by gbgary
awesome!! i hope that one clamp doesn't hang down too far. it might snag something.
Those clamps were the biggest pain! I flipped them around a couple times and that seamed to work the best. They don't stick down past the black floor braces on either side but they do look a little out of whack.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:51 PM
pwoolford
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by TX Vette
Very nice and neatly installed
Thanks! I could probaby do it again in half the time knowing what I know now. Most things seem to work that way!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:46 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Pictures, Thanks again for your business.

So glad ur happy with your purchase.

Nice!

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-17-2008, 12:21 AM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice work!!
Old 02-17-2008, 01:21 PM
NIGHTSTALKER
Drifting

Nice
Old 02-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,490 Likes on 801 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I just received mine from Bowmanized this week as well. I have the same kit as you. I'm glad to see it wasn't a total pain to install. I plan on doing mine soon. How high did you have the car up in the air? I plan to do mine in the garage on stands.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:21 PM
NIGHTSTALKER
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
I just received mine from Bowmanized this week as well. I have the same kit as you. I'm glad to see it wasn't a total pain to install. I plan on doing mine soon. How high did you have the car up in the air? I plan to do mine in the garage on stands.
I had mine 17" off the ground, and that was plenty. My stands could go up higher, but I didn't want the car too high up on them. 17" was just enough room to slide the headers up into place from under the car, and have enough room to move around under it.
The 17" was measuring from below the doors to the floor
Old 02-17-2008, 04:55 PM
pwoolford
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
I have a lift in my garage so, needless to say, that helped a ton. I did them by myself and was very surprised how easily they went on. I spent most of my time routing the 02 sensor wires. I'll post some more pics tomorrow and some ideas on how I would do them differently if done again. I didn't remove any plugs or the starter and held them in place with wire ties while bolting them on.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 655 Likes on 376 Posts

Old 02-18-2008, 08:10 AM
pwoolford
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Here are a couple things I did to make my install easier. Another set of hands would have helped but there was nobody around (at Daytona) so I improvised.

First picture I was using a tie down strap to support the driver's side cat. I removed the cat to manifold bolts and let it hang down a little from the strap. This gave me room to get the O2 sensor out.

The second picture I was using a rope between the manifold and my lift to support the manifold while unbolting it. I positioned it so I could push my shoulder against it to take up slack. Once the bolts were out I untied the rope from the lift and used the rope to lower the manifold to the floor.

The third and fourth picture I was using wire ties to hold the headers in place so I could go back up top and start the bolts. Once I got a couple bolts started I cut off the ties and finished bolting them up. I messed up here by tightening the headers BEFORE routing the O2 wires. I should have left them loose so I could move them a little while routing the wires.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:24 AM
los7883
Melting Slicks

Looks awesome!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 05:26 PM
jhester
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice install, great idea with the zip ties.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I can't believe you couldn't get some help with a garage/shop setup like that - if someone near me had that kind of setup I'd sure make fast friends with them and trade some labor for a place to work once in a while!

Nice setup and Goat there. Love the 66/67 Goats.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:56 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Nice job.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:22 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Damn I thought that was a speed record in the install until I saw that you have a lift (I hate you now ) but nice install and yes it wakes the car up. Outstanding job and great of you to post up pictures of your install so others will have an easier time, which is what this board is all about.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY LG Header Install Complete

Quick Reply: DIY LG Header Install Complete