C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4-Speed Conv. Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 10:27 AM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Default 4-Speed Conv. Advice

Anyone how did a 4-speed tanny swap wanna give me some adivce on putting it in and stuff. I am buying a complete tranny, bell housing, pedals, linkage, almost every just need the console plate for a 4 speed. I would really appreicate the help
Thanx
Dustin
Old 12-04-2001, 11:07 AM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 4-Speed Conv. Advice (DCBStingray)

Once you have modified the crossmember to include the four speed mount bracket, it is really just a simple bolt in item.
The most difficult part is the pedals. Others removed the left dash and steering column to get to it, but I was able to do it without pulling them out. Of course, I was 19 then and quite a bit more flexable than I am now. :D It was a real PIA, but it is possible.
Also, be sure to get some good welds on the bellcrank bracket that mounts to the frame for the pedal linkage . I broke mine after a year and had to weld it in there again. It was not a great feeling when the pedal went to the floor while shifting :cuss
The opening in the tranny tunel for the shifter to pass through is larger than the 4speed cars, so you will have to find something to replace the rubber boot that is below the console shifter plate. Factory 4speed boots will not work.

That's all that I can think of for now. I'll post more tips if I can think of some.

Tom
Old 12-04-2001, 12:40 PM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

What modification needs to be done to the cross member? Like a cut out or something?
Old 12-04-2001, 12:41 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Buy the Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM) for your year. Compare the stock 4 speed and automatic installations and study the differences. Put together a list of parts you will need. This swap requires considerably more than dropping in the 4 speed. If it were me, the first thing I would check would be to determine whether my block was machined for clutch linkage. Good luck.
:)
Old 12-04-2001, 01:46 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4 speed cars have a bracket that bolts to the crossmember. Since the rear mounting pad distance is shorter than the auto trans, this bracket hangs from the front of the crossmember to make up the difference. To do this, you will need to weld two small "L" shape brackets to the crossmember to support this bracket. It is a very simple modification to do, so don't worry about it. These brackets are readily available from most Vette vendors.
Did you get a different yoke too?

Here are some pics of the bracket(mine was modified for the five speed) and "L" brackets. You will see where these "L" brackets must be welded.

Get notified of new replies

To 4-Speed Conv. Advice

Quick Reply: 4-Speed Conv. Advice