C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Oil Pan Gasket Questions?

Old 12-04-2001, 10:08 AM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Replacing Oil Pan Gasket Questions?

Last night I dropped my oil pan as I want to do some detailing underneath this winter. I want to repaint the pan, starter, etc. I was truely amazed at how clean my engine was after 25 years. The engine has had Penzoil in it all its life and now I am totally sold on Penzoil. I dropped the rear main cap and replaced the rear seal. The bearing surface looks like new. Anyway, my question....when replacing the oil pan gasket with the engine in the car, do you use some type of adhesive on the block surface to hold the cork in place until you get the pan in place? It does not appear that GM used any adhesive when the pan was originally put on. What method have you guys used?
Old 12-04-2001, 10:17 AM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Replacing Oil Pan Gasket Questions? (Binnie77)

I'd recommend buying a felpro gasket. It comes with 4 post installers that you clip the gasket on, then snap the pan up, then put the bolts in. Infinately better than cork.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:37 AM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this job and I found it easier to use a yellow weatherstrip sealant (gorilla snot) :lol: to glue the gasket to the pan, then a thin coat of silicone sealant on the gasket which mates to the block. The weatherstrip sealant cures harder than the silicone and if you ever have to remove the pan, the gasket will come off with the pan and you will have very little cleanup on the block.

dl
Old 12-04-2001, 11:03 AM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the same thing Rhys did. VERY easy. The one piece Felpro gasket kit installs with the clips and requires no sealer. Some who have used it have said they used a little sealer at the corners, but mine was OK without it.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:16 AM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

DON'T use cork. Use the one piece rubber Felpro gasket. The one piece gasket is great for sealing up in the corners and it is SO much easier to install.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:29 AM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Replacing Oil Pan Gasket Questions? (virtue4u)

In addition to using the felpro one piece gasket, suggest you give thought to installation of a new stock oil pump, and pick up tube. Cost is about $35, and also suggest you have new pick up tack welded to the oil pump housing for extra security. Lastly, may also want to use an after market one piece steel oil pump drive shaft / sleeve, rather than the factory plastic sleeve, maybe another $15, but will never brake like plastic could.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:40 AM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK..I am convinced...Felpro now on order :seeya
Old 12-04-2001, 01:46 PM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

i'm going through this right now too. i it is hard to find a 1-pc for a bigblock. have to special order from factory... :rolleyes:
Old 12-04-2001, 02:44 PM
MikeE.79
Advanced

I had my tranny serviced by a friend of mine who is a master mechanic for a living and is a mechanic in the national guard for the 1073rd heavy equipment post in Greenville MI. and when he saw that someone who serviced it before him had used silicone on the gasket he didn't like it. He said don't use anything like that on the gasket because your transmission has very small passage ways in it and if any silicone should break loose from the inside when squeezed tight to the block and plug one of those passage ways it could be the end for your tranny. :eek:

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Oil Pan Gasket Questions?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Oil Pan Gasket Questions?